Mark Gurman: Apple postpones launch of new Macs to March '23

From Gurman's Power On column, mailed Sunday morning to Bloomberg Technology subscribers:

I’m told that Apple is aiming to introduce the upgraded models—including M2-based versions of the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros—in the first quarter of calendar 2023 and has tied the launches to the upcoming macOS Ventura 13.3 and iOS 16.3. Those software updates are expected to debut between early February and the beginning of March.

Apple has rarely launched new products in January or February during recent years, so I’d expect the new Macs to be announced by the first half of March. That aligns with the planned ship dates for the corresponding software, but also makes sense in light of Apple’s recent history of launching new Macs during that month, including the Mac Studio this year.

While Apple had aimed to release the new MacBook Pros as early as this fall, the company’s internal plans—confirmed by public comments this past week—have shut the door on that. During the company’s quarterly earnings call Thursday, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook called the product line “set” for this holiday season...

Apple introduced the redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros with the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips last October, contributing to $10.9 billion in Mac revenue in the holiday quarter. This time around, expect the Mac revenue number to come in far below that.

My take: Sounds like it could have a material effect on December YoY earnings. All the better for March, I guess.

TSMC’s N3 process reaching full product volume be a factor.

Two other factors may be continued supply chain challenges and the wisdom of maximizing consumer spend in in the holiday and Chinese new year season on iPhones, wearables and services.

October 30, 2022
  2. Aaron Belich said:
    I imagine we’ll get a tease for the Mac Pro before the end of the year.

October 30, 2022
    The only factor that matters is the one Apple has been able to largely avoid so far: macro economic resulting in a vastly stronger USD.

October 30, 2022
  4. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    @PED For a company currently generating revenue at the pace, on average, of about $1.08 billion per day and net income at the pace, on average, of around $25 billion every 91 days, fiscal periods are blurred. Even in a slowing economy the Mac is the industry’s revenue and profit share leader. I expect the products to be released when they are ready with only a glancing look at which fiscal quarter they come to market. Forward commentary is king in today’s market environment, in my view.

October 30, 2022
  5. Bart Yee said:
    Apple Insider had a similar story parsing out earnings comments from Tim saying “our holiday lineup is set”, suggesting no more 2022 product introductions or updates.

I sent the story to Phil, saying “Reading the tea leaves of earnings comments by Tim and Luca. Of course, we now wait for Gurman to comment.” Voila, ding ding ding, Gurman, right on schedule.

October 30, 2022
    Dang, Mark Gurman! You caused me to delay my planned Apple purchases of a new Mac mini, 16GB unified memory, 1TB SSD storage, with Apple Studio Display 27-inch 5K Retina display along with respective accessories. I suspected Apple may (could) upgrade the Mac mini with the M2 chip this fall (now spring). So I paused until further news. Now it seems to be rolling in that this will occur early next year. It is an update to the next generation chip, which for all practical purposes is a one year jump ahead. I can and should wait 3-4 more months for that one year leap to the M2. No lost sale; just delayed a few months.

October 30, 2022