iPhone 14: Who else got up 6 hours too early?

I've never been good at adjusting for Pacific time, especially at 2 a.m. Eastern.

Purchase of an iPhone 14 Pro (256 GB, Black) went smoothly at 8:10 a.m., except that my Apple Card was rejected twice and I had to switch to AMEX. Not the first time Goldman Sachs has failed me while the clock was ticking. Delivery due 9/16.

1. Uh oh, don’t tell anybody new iPhones are on back order already. Analysts will get wind & put more negative spin on a fantastic new model lineup.
    Phil, if you swipe down from the right there’s a clock icon. World Clock is in there. I use it several times a day to plan calls to EU, Africa, Japan & Seattle. At Air Cargo Inc we had walls of clocks set to various cities. Kinda cool.

September 9, 2022
    I’m still resisting. Back order delay is helping, although my birthday is in November. I may wind up gifting myself.

September 9, 2022
    • Bart Yee said:
      @Gregg
      Well, November is a time for Thanksgiving, for recovering from the Apple October Event AND Q4 and FY 2022 earnings report, which I think will be quite good, a barometer of things to come in Q1. If you were holding sizable AAPL shares, your dividend would arrive by end of first week in November. Or perhaps some well timed options plays could put a few extra dollars into the kitty.

I suspect a nice self gifted iPhone 14 Pro would be much more tasty than a few Pumpkin Spice Lattes (btw, SBUX is -24.2% YTD, -25.3% 1 yr., vs AAPL -11.4% YTD, +2.1% 1 yr.). Then you can angle for adding a new Apple Watch for Christmas. See, that wasn’t difficult.

September 9, 2022
        See, that wasn’t difficult.

LOL

September 10, 2022
    I completed my order around noon, delivery 2nd week of October.

September 9, 2022
  4. Bart Yee said:
    As Thomas mentioned, the Apple iOS Clock app displays pre-selected cities in time zones. You can delete or add cities as you wish, and click edit to move cities/time zones by pressing on the right 3 lines and moving/changing the order to your liking.

For example, I have Los Angeles first for Pacific time zone, had Las Vegas (now deleted) and NYC for Eastern Time Zone. I added Cupertino and moved it below LA. I also include London, Amsterdam, Manila, Perth, Singapore, etc. At a glance and scroll you can see a vertical wall of time zones, perfect for coordinating Apple order thresholds or following the LA Dodgers on their next road trip, adding MLB cities as needed. Very handy.

September 9, 2022
      I have my world clock to coincide with the opening of major world indices. Starts with Australia then Beijing, Germany, London, New York. and finally Cupertino.

September 10, 2022
  5. Bart Yee said:
    PED: Purchase of an iPhone 14 Pro (256 GB, Black) went smoothly at 8:10 a.m., except that my Apple Card was rejected twice and I had to switch to AMEX. Not the first time Goldman Sachs has failed me while the clock was ticking.

Huh, wonder what happened. Do you have your GS Apple Card in your Apple Wallet and tied to Apple Pay and could your order have been paid with Apple Pay instead? That would have been via FaceID or double press power button, so easy, still accrues cash back on Apple Purchases and eliminates any card number entry issues. I’m assuming there’s a sufficient credit limit on your GS Apple Card.

September 9, 2022
  6. Adam Foster said:
    Me too…
    iPhone Pro Max Purple with 1 TB storage delivers Fri, Sep 16 by Standard Delivery!
    It took 12 trys with the Apple Card before it went tru at 8:12 AM

September 9, 2022
  7. Aaron Belich said:
    Passed on an iPhone 14, took me til 5:09am (PST) until either the site or App started to function and appreciate my desire for a new set of headphones.

App refused to complete the Apple Pay transaction. But worked fine on Apple dot com.

September 9, 2022
  8. Bart Yee said:
    Seems odd or weird that Apple’s Store app, newly revamped online ordering reservation system, or multiple worldwide websites could not absorb the huge initial demand. It must be an IT nightmare.

OTOH, imagining MILLIONS of people placing tens to hundreds of millions of orders all within the same initial hours gives one pause and delight simultaneously! The fact that some had to try multiple times to get your order through and processed underscores the steely resolve and (precedented) demand that Apple users have for new Apple Products. Indeed, an Apple order delayed (even by minutes or hours) is not an order lost or switched, merely reinforced.

I can only imagine the War Room at Apple Park where hourly tabulations of orders from various countries’ and regional websites are being recorded, processed, sent on to suppliers for production earmarks, and the algorithms are returning shipping dates and future production capacity and utilization.

A daily briefing goes to Tim, Jeff, Luca, and Deidra, and I suspect smiles, calls, FaceTimes and real time production coordination is the result. Well oiled machine.

September 9, 2022

I’ll bet this isn’t a problem Samsung has.

September 10, 2022
  9. Mordechai Beizer said:
    Slightly off topic but I’m surprised at the new Apple Watch pricing. The Ultra, with a 49mm titanium case plus other stuff is $799, only $50 more than the plainest steel Series 8 watch with a 45mm case. Makes no sense to me to have that small a spread between the two. Especially when the comparable aluminum watch is $429.

It seems to me that Apple crammed more than $50 of new features into the Ultra. Either it should have been priced higher or the steel watch should have dropped.

Also, the trade-in values are terrible. My two year old Stainless goes for $125 but my brother-in-law was offered only $154 for his one year old Series 7 stainless.

September 9, 2022
  10. Don Donofrio said:
    Well for what is is worth, my wife and I both got our orders in by 8:04am and had no issues at any point, including charging to the Apple Card.

I had the Apple Store app open on both the iPad and iPhone at the can’t wait screen. As soon as the app allowed interaction I completed my preset order.

We are both on the upgrade program. I would like to get out of it in some ways ( there is forced AppleCare for one), but I would still be on the hook for the balance and it would be on me to somehow convert the old phone into the cash to pay off the loan. The program is pretty sticky.

September 9, 2022
  11. Neil Shapiro said:
    Worse time ever with pre-order. I also did the pre-order setup and got into the store at 8:10 am. Seemed to go fine in that it indicated I would receive my Gold/Max/256 on 9/16. But then everything hung with a spinning cursor. I left it for ten minutes but then the site dropped me. By the time I got back on it was at least 8:25 or so.The only way I was able to enter my Apple Card was to use its number and I have no idea if that will mean I got the (measly) discount. Worst of all now the phone is slated to arrive 10/2-10/10. Geesh. There just has to be a better way than this yearly ritual of watching Apple in an epic, online fail.

September 10, 2022

The fail is in Apple’s order entry system’s inability to handle the volume. Scaling that system to handle any, and all, launch days just isn’t warranted (financially).

I’m going to try to be first in line at my local (1.5 mile distant) Apple Store on launch day. If that doesn’t get me one I’ll forego it until November (birthday).

September 10, 2022