'Buy your mom an iPhone'

Tim Cook's answer to a son's  compatibility complaint is made for the age of Twitter.

From Emma Roth and Richard Lawler's "Tim Cook says ‘buy your mom an iPhone’ if you want to end green bubbles" posted Wednesday on The Verve:

Apple CEO Tim Cook dismissed the idea of adopting RCS messaging to put an end to the green bubbles that surround messages when iPhone users text someone on an Android device.

“I don’t hear our users asking that we put a lot of energy in on that at this point,” Cook said when asked how Apple founder Steve Jobs would feel about using the RCS standard in iMessage during Vox Media’s Code 2022 event on Wednesday night. Instead, Cook said, “I would love to convert you to an iPhone.”

But the person who asked the question, Vox Media’s LiQuan Hunt, came back with a valid complaint, saying that his mother can’t see the videos he sends her... Cook’s suggestion to fix this annoying issue? “Buy your mom an iPhone.”

My take: Amy Klobuchar is going to love that one.

1. Robert Varipapa said:
    Good come back, Tim

September 8, 2022
    Screw Klobuchar. I don’t care about her other achievements, when it comes to anti-trust law she’s a grand standing idiot.

I just can’t imagine that as Apple gets bigger and bigger, it doesn’t have the largest pool of the best anti-trust minds in the US on retainer, and consults with them frequently.

To not do so would be hubris of the greatest magnitude. Tim Cook just isn’t that dumb.

September 8, 2022
    Buy you Mom an iPhone and an AppleWatch for all the health reasons.

BTW: There are many other video sharing Apps.

4. Steven Philips said:
    Or quit sending your mom videos she can’t see!

5. Brian Loftus said:
    Better answer? Buy yourself a new iPhone and give your mom the old one to try. Then she can decide if she likes it. It will almost certainly be supported longer than the phone she currently has.

• S Lawton said:
      Mom deserves second best?

• Brian Loftus said:
        Both my parents – now in their early 90s – use iPhones. They initially would only accept an iPhone from me (dad on my plan, mom on sister’s plan) because I gave them a hand me down phones from my wife and I. Remember – this was years ago and they were coming from dumb phones. They could not imagine anyone spending that much money on a phone.

When it was time to replace their phones – they got higher end new phones.

• S Lawton said:
          “They could not imagine anyone spending that much money on a phone.” Neither can I be it Apple or Android. I only finally replaced my ten year old because it was 3G.

• Bart Yee said:
        @S Lawton
        Well, apparently son has only bought her an Android so by definition…

He could rectify this by getting a nice iPhone 13 mini or 13 for her. If budget is an issue, the iPhone SE 2022. My guess is she would enjoy it immensely and use FaceTime and iMessage often.

• Miguel Ancira said:
      I like the way you think…..nice

6. John Konopka said:
    Many in the press see the green/blue bubble thing as just a marketing ploy. Green bubble texts are not secure. Blue bubbles are encrypted, and they support more features. RCS is not secure.

September 8, 2022
    The absence of a formal standardization activity for messaging, independent of either Telcos or Google, is significant (and surprising.) There are some really tough interoperability and security issues that would have to be worked out for an effective standard that does not substantially damage what Apple provides. Google’s desire to “dumb down” messaging (after multiple earlier failed attempts) is something Apple should continue to resist. See https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/