Apple did not buy Netflix this week

But Tim Cook did make news riding to dinner in downtown Sun Valley in a rival's electric truck.

From Edward Ludlow's "Apple’s Cook Takes Ride in Rivian Electric Pickup at Sun Valley" posted Friday on the Bloomberg:

Apple's Tim Cook was spotted in downtown Sun Valley Thursday taking a ride in a Rivian Automotive Inc.battery-electric pickup.

The chief executive officer borrowed the metallic green R1T while attending Allen & Co.’s Sun Valley Conference in Idaho, according to people familiar with the matter. Cook and others took the vehicle from the Sun Valley Resort, where the conference is held, downtown for dinner, the people said, asking not to be identified.

Rivian’s founder and CEO R.J. Scaringe is also in attendance at the so-called summer camp for billionaires for the first time and has been one of the stars of the conference.

Scaringe brought two EVs with him: the R1T and Rivian’s sport utility vehicle, the R1S. Dozens of attendees were seen inspecting the two cars, which were parked for much of the last three days on the lodge’s front drive. Scaringe was seen showing Home Depot Inc. co-founder Ken Langone around one of the vehicles.

Irvine, California-based Rivian is one of the biggest EV challengers to Tesla Inc. In November, Rivian pulled off the sixth biggest US initial public offering ever. The fledgling EV maker is backed by Amazon.com Inc. and Jeff Bezos, who are among its biggest investors. Rivian builds battery-electric delivery vans for Amazon and has a contract to build 100,000 of them by the end of the decade.

My take: Cook must have known that his little ride would not go unnoticed.

1. Jonny T said:
    Could be ‘interesting’ to see Tim in a Lucid Air…

July 10, 2022
    Rivian has impressed me since my viewing of the “Long Way Up” on Apple tv+. I recommend highly for all of you who enjoy the outdoors, adventure travel, beautiful scenery, motorcycles, to tune-in and watch all episodes.

“Long Way Up” is a British television series which debuted in September 2020, documenting a motorcycle journey on Rivian EV bikes undertaken in 2019 by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman, from Ushuaia in Argentina through South and Central America to Los Angeles in the USA. McGregor & Boorman wanted to see if EV bikes could do the formidable route & trip.

The two cyclists ended up choosing Rivian as their sponsor of the EV bikes. I forget their reasoning, other than they most likely believed Rivian had the latest and greatest technology to offer them along with trip support. Anyway, Rivian always is in the forefront through the episodes because so much is built around getting the bikes charged sufficiently to make it to the next city or town.

I just loved watching the episodes so much that I now am watching the other Long Way Series such as “Long Way Round,” and “Long Way Down.” Fantastic! Do give it a try.

July 10, 2022
      If I’m not mistaken (been a while since I watched it) those bikes were Harley-Davidson experimentals.

July 10, 2022
      • Jerry Doyle said:
        @Gregg Thurman: Great to hear from you brother Gregg! Yes, the EV bikes were HD and the Support vehicles were Rivian EV trucks. Both HD & Rivian sponsored the experimental project using EV over ICE. Much was at stake relative to the companies’ reputations using EVs. Little to no charging infrastructure existed between long distances. Rough travel roads and conditions. Hats off to Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman for their insight and fearless desire to use all EV bikes & support vehicles. Failure would be devastating to the EV industry & to the two companies’ efforts to transition to EV.

The series is as much about EV travel efficacy as about the bikes’ journey. The series sold me on EVs and especially Rivian’s EV expertise and HD’s ability to transition to EV bikes. The scenery was just so delicious to view for this man who has visited 70 plus countries including those on this adventure. I do hope folk will watch all the travel series.

July 10, 2022
    • Fred Stein said:
      Cool. Thanks. I’ll download for my long ride home by air in a day. 😉

July 10, 2022
    • Steven Philips said:
      I tried. Gave up after 3 episodes. Did it get better? (Apparently. From your enthusiasm.) And yes, I rode motorcycles for 40 years – till arthritis in my neck stopped me. Always sports bikes so no wonder! 🙁

July 10, 2022
      • Jerry Doyle said:
        @Steven Philips: I never judge another why he or she isn’t attracted to something as I. So, what I write is not a reflection relative to your comment and failure to stay with the series.

I’ve learned throughout life that all of us are individuals who bring our own unique, personal, emotional and idiosyncratic perspectives to the table and thus, how we view or interpret something can vary, even significantly.

Several elements attracted me to the series, “Long Way Up.” Traveling through countries was the initial impetus. I love the variety of cultures, ethnicities, customs, foods, peoples and societal elements of the populations. If I had one thing to tell a young person it would be to “travel the world.” Traveling the world and interacting with peoples broadens one’s perspectives and horizons making them less narrow minded and less judgmental and instead, more accepting and understanding. We really are all one peoples.

My second reason for tuning in to the series was to view the cinematography of geographical landscapes. There is very good cinematography going on in this series.

My third reasoning for tuning in to the series was to learn more about EVs. This series is all about the experimental undertaking of using EV bikes and EV support vehicles to go across some of the most rugged and desolate terrain on earth. Can EVs do this, I wondered? And if so, how adequately can they do it? What I learned in the end was most impressive.

My fourth reasoning for tuning in was nostalgia from summers between semesters when I would pull my motorcycle out of storage, get it up and running and trip across country. There is a freedom on tripping across the country on a motorcycle that only other trippers understand fully. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman understand this fact and talk about it on the series.

So, brother Steven, that is what pulled me to watch the series and based on all my unique, personal, emotional and idiosyncratic perspectives in life I stayed glued and loved every minute of it.

July 10, 2022
        • Steven Philips said:
          Thanks, Jerry. Sounds like you’re saying “Yes, it DID get better after the first three episodes.” :). All your reasons are attractive to me as well. The first three had none of them. I’ll go back and watch some more.

July 11, 2022