One of the biggest mistakes of Tim Cook's tenure at Apple, he says, was not taking that meeting with Elon Musk.
From Dave Lee on Investing, posted Friday on YouTube:
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 00:44 - Does Mark Gurman own a Tesla?
- 03:28 - Overview of Apple Car history
- 08:30 - Challenges Apple Car development has faced
- 15:29 - Does Apple really want to make a car?
- 19:10 - Why Apple is waiting to produce a mass market car
- 21:00 - Possibility of Apple acquiring a car company
- 27:20 - Apple CarPlay
- 37:10 - Apple ambitions with CarPlay
- 40:00 - CarPlay 2.0 vs CarPlay 3.0
- 43:40 - Will Apple add autonomous driving to CarPlay 4.0?
- 49:05 - Apple’s reluctance to get into car hardware business
- 52:30 - State of Apple’s autonomous driving efforts
- 55:15 - Is Apple still innovating? What big new areas are they targeting?
- 1:04:07 - Should Apple buy Peloton?
My take: A jam-packed hour. Gurman, who drives a Model 3, doesn't see an Apple Car coming for 5 to 7 years, if ever. Meanwhile, he says, Apple is following a clever dual track strategy where CarPlay becomes the operating system for the rest of the industry.