Mark Gurman: Apple testing nine new Macs

From "Apple Readies Several New Macs With Next-Generation M2 Chips" posted Thursday on the Bloomberg:

Apple has started widespread internal testing of several new Mac models with next-generation M2 chips, according to developer logs, part of its push to make more powerful computers using homegrown processors.

The company is testing at least nine new Macs with four different M2-based chips -- the successors to the current M1 line -- with third-party apps in its App Store, according to the logs, which were corroborated by people familiar with the matter. The move is a key step in the development process, suggesting that the new machines may be nearing release in the coming months...

After years of slow growth, the Mac computer division enjoyed a resurgence the past two years, helped in part by home office workers buying new equipment. The business generated $35.2 billion in sales the past fiscal year, about 10% of Apple’s total.

The new machines being tested include:

• A MacBook Air with an M2 chip, codenamed J413.
    • There’s also an “M2 Pro” variation, codenamed J474, in testing.
    • An entry-level MacBook Pro with an M2 chip, codenamed J493.
    • A 14-inch MacBook Pro with M2 Pro and “M2 Max” chips, codenamed J414.
    • A 16-inch MacBook Pro with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips, codenamed J416.
    • A Mac Pro, codenamed J180.

My take: Leakers will leak. Note the code names. Adds verisimilitude, no?

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Can’t wait. My son got an M1 MBAir last night for next Tues in-store pickup, no stock earlier than 5d out between all the Stores between Austin & San Antonio.

His old 2015 MBP that took him his 1st 3yrs at UTSA is coming back to me.

Great stuff!

April 15, 2022
      I write this on a 2014 MBP running Mojave… Still a very useful machine, and the last one I have that runs the olde version of MS Office and Aperture… My new M1 Max MBPro is my primary machine…

April 15, 2022
  2. Greg Lippert said:
    Got my MacStudio with M1 Ultra early this week. Replacing a 7 year old iMac which will go to my kids and still going strong!

April 15, 2022
  3. Robert Stack said:
    I’m all in on the new MBA (when released) – provided it has both an M2 chip and MagSafe charging!

If not, I’d get the new MBPro if it has both these features but does NOT HAVE the Touch Bar. Picky picky I know!

April 15, 2022
  4. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    While it’s common knowledge that, at Apple, one department doesn’t know what the other department is doing, I find a deeply circumspect that Gurman has such a broad sniff on many things.

Kinda like all the right people are very leaky.

April 15, 2022
    • John Butt said:
      I am sure you could have guessed these and then after the launch come up with a Gurman excuse for errors, if any

April 15, 2022
  5. Bob Goldstein said:
    My son bought a current M1 laptop. I think it’s the Pro. He is in a computer science masters program and is completely amazed at how fast he can do his work. The only issue is he can only use one monitor with it

April 15, 2022
    Yesterday, TSMC said their 3nm process chips ship in Q2 this year and their enhanced 3nm process chips ship next year.

April 15, 2022