Statista: Apple owns the U.S. headphone market

Eight years after Apple bought Beats and five years after the AirPod, look what Americans are wearing on their ears:

Has it only been three years since FlamingBakingCake started the Reddit thread called "People wearing Apple AirPods look f...ing stupid"?

They're cool in concept, two separate ear pieces synced to one phone with no wires. But they look like a dumb gimmick hanging out of people's ears. When ever I see someone wearing them I always assume they're either a die hard Apple fan that doesn't realize they're being milked for pretty okay technology, or I assume it's a Chinese knock off of them. Either way it looks like a golf ball tee dangling from each ear.

My take: Wish I'd been keeping a AirPods claimchowder file. I think the pandemic -- when TV talking heads started talking through AirPods -- was the tipping point.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Interestingly enough, I’ve never used a pair (issues staying in and comfort) but both my wife & son have two pairs each. I have a pair of PowerBeats Pro ear wraparounds for now.

February 11, 2022
    Apple owns “Beats by dr.dre” which has 15.3% share with the Apple brand which has 34.4% share. So for all practical purposes Apple dominates 49.7% of the headphone market (Half).

Personally, I think the tipping point was the young generation’s embrace of the Apple AirPods’ commercials. Adults soon followed. Initially, during the onset of the pandemic most “talking heads” were using wired buds, which looked and came across as untidy, lacking neatness or precision leaving the wearer looking slovenly. Then the talking heads switched to the AirPods giving themselves a more crisp, neat and organized look.

February 11, 2022
    • Tom Farris said:
      And don’t forget the ‘talking heads’ that need to run to the bathroom, or for some other reason need to jump up from their seat during any sort of short break. They are usually going to be focused on what they are doing next and not their wired earphones. I am imagining a number of phones that hit the floor or earphones yanked out of their ears with the following need to get everything back in place before the need to be on camera again. Wireless, the only way to go. Apple, the best way to get there.

February 11, 2022
  3. At one point, pre-Pandemic, I noticed them everywhere when photographing on the streets of major cities including Phila., NYC, Halifax, Paris and Barcelona. Standing on a Metro train it seemed like nearly every passenger wore some headset or buds, with Beats and Apple gear predominating.

February 11, 2022
    I still don’t like stuff stuck in my ears 🙂

February 11, 2022
  5. Gary Gouriluk said:
    AirPods are kind of product that you tell yourself you don’t need, and you listen to the anti-apple guys tell you that you will lose them and look funny. Then you try them and like the iPhone, and the Apple Watch, you know you will never be without them again.

February 11, 2022
  6. Daniel Epstein said:
    Took a little while to get comfortable with my Airpod Pro’s but now I carry them with me almost all the time. Paired with Apple music and unlimited data plan I walk around NYC a lot. A great value for me. Sometimes listen to music sometimes business news. The system is not perfect. Some apps don’t always play after being paused. The phone will sometimes revert to the music app. I do think the charging controls or lack there of are strange and sometimes let me down. I also have had people knock them out of my ears when going fo a quick hug. And my hearing with them in my ears but turned off is not as good so I do take them out when not using them. Cleaning them is a bit fussy as well. Nothing is perfect but I think they are great. So far the batteries are doing well but my Applecare Coverage does expire late April.Wondering if I will be able to get a new model soon! I can see why they are very popular.

February 11, 2022