This week’s Apple trading strategies (11/22-11/26)

A place for Apple traders and investors to share their best ideas.

To get things rolling, here’s CNBC’s Phil LeBeau leading a skeptical Fast Monday team as it analyzes the impact of Thursday’s Apple Car story:

Below: Apple vs. the S&P 500 last week, normalized…

apple trading strategies 11-22-21
Disclosure: Although I am now an Apple shareholder (see Why I bought a share of Apple, my first), I am in no position to give trading advice. Don’t blame me if you drain your IRA doing something you read about here.

See also last week’s trading strategies.

1. Michael Goldfeder said:
    It’s also interesting to note that the false narrative of the Epic federal court case win that we all know was a humiliating and devastating Loss for Tim Sweeney has diminished tremendously and fallen to the wayside along with fortnight. Add into the Apple equation the ongoing and insatiable demand for their hardware across the board despite the chip constraints, as well as AR glasses arriving at some juncture and the ongoing uptick in services, this stock is just now starting to catch up to where it ought to have been several months ago.

As Joseph has so eloquently set forth on numerous occasions, the buybacks by Apple at much lower prices has just been an ongoing source of delight for all long time holders of their stock.

However, the benefits flowing to the daughter of “Geaux Jerry” as a result of his phenomenal savvy back in the mid 90’s by having the foresight in purchasing $3,500.00 of Apple and holding it still today is a story that everyone on this Apple 3.0 site can enjoy along with him!

Geaux Apple!

November 21, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Michael: You mentioned Jerry purchased shares as far back as the mid 90s – Wow! When did you develop an active interest in Apple?

November 21, 2021
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @Robert:

I started following Apple stock around 2005 after I bought a car that had an iPod port added by the dealership. Bought my first iPod a few years later after more technically proficient friends explained what an MP3 device was all about, and showed me their “wheel” iPod and I was hooked. Then when blackberry went the way of the buffalo I purchased my first iPhone, followed closely thereafter by an iMac and iPad. Then I dumped all of my Microsoft windows computers.

In 2016 I almost pulled the trigger on purchasing my first Apple shares but the stock didn’t fall to the $90.00 level I was waiting on. Instead it shot up close to $200. But I still followed it closely. Then right after it hit around $233 in October/November, 2018, the drop off in sales in China, along with a letter written by Tim Cook discussing the problems in China was released and caused the stock to fall precipitously in December. That was also around the same time Powell was raising % rates, Trump was enraged, imposing tariffs, and roiling the stock market. Once there was a final dip in Apple stock of another $12.00 down to $142 in early January, 2019, I immediately liquidated my assets in the portfolio and dove in going all Apple for my portfolio. A few days later Jim Cramer interviewed Tim Cook about the China sales shortfall, and I felt even more confident after what Cook said about the future of Apple and China in particular.

I’m enjoying this ride and have to thank everyone on this site for all of their outstanding insight, experience, knowledge, and investment stories as it has assisted me tremendously, especially when the economy shuttered due to the pandemic and everything was tanking. It was then that I realized the impact and importance of the Apple buybacks as that allowed me to maintain the course and stay long knowing that Apple had every long term shareholder’s back.

Anyone who has Apple stock ought to be a subscriber to Apple 3.0 and I cannot thank PED enough for keeping this site up, and all of the zoom call guests he has invited to participate with the subscribers has also been an invaluable and ongoing resource to become even better informed about Apple as both a company and its rich history from so many different perspectives and all points on the compass.

November 21, 2021
        • Robert Paul Leitao said:
          Michael: Thank you. Just a reminder to readers who have yet to subscribe, you will gain access to the Zoom meetings with special guests, access to the subscriber Slack group and the opportunity to join the conversations on the blog! Consider subscribing as a holiday season gift to yourself! Please read Michael’s comment about the value of a subscription. You’ll have an opportunity to meet Michael at the next Zoom meeting. He’s a subscriber and thoughtful contributor to the Apple 3.0 community.

November 22, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Michael: Do you think Epic regrets bringing the case or do you think they will see the litigation to the bitter end? Having Epic properties off the App Store must take a big bite out of the company’s revenue.

November 21, 2021
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @Robert: I applaud Tim Sweeney for creating some very successful games and building a presence in this area. Unfortunately, IMO he has become a crusader for this: “The Coalition for App Fairness”, and it has caused him immeasurable pain that he never saw coming as he was convinced of his position and will never be deterred. Much like Don Quixote tilting at windmills, or Captain Ahab and the white whale, Sweeney has lost sight of how to save face by backing down. While he’s admitted to losing hundreds of millions of dollars since he kicked himself off of the App Store, he’s unable to humble himself and settle a lawsuit that was doomed from the inception.

“Pride cometh before the fall.” Tim Sweeney cannot back down and do the prudent thing by settling this case as he cannot admit that he was wrong. What’s most ironic is the ruling about Developers being able to contact customers on iOS and trying to circumvent the fees charged by Apple for being able to exist on the App Store, isn’t going to be the tsunami he or anyone else expects. I’m not giving any App Developer an alternative for billing as I’m fine with how Apple protects me and everyone else who wants to utilize their payment service as it’s flawless.

He’s losing huge and each day he becomes even less relevant as the “Metaverse” will move on without him. There are many folks who will create games and surpass fortnight by being able to exist on the # 1 platform known as iOS!

November 22, 2021
        • Robert Paul Leitao said:
          Michael: Thank you. Just some “back of the envelope” math and I don’t see how the legal strategy could be a financial benefit to Epic and Tencent, a reported significant shareholder. I appreciate the thoughtful analogies in your comment. From what I’m reading, Apple will be able to charge a distribution fee even if “side loading” is somehow allowed at some future date. I think press coverage of the litigation has been misleading and the judge’s rulings very much misunderstood.

November 22, 2021