The state of Apple: 12 minutes with Mr. iPod, 20 years later (video)

Of the Tim Cook era he says, unprompted, "Ten great years!"

From "IPod Inventor Tony Fadell: 'M1 Macs Are Absolute Innovation'" posted Thursday via Bloomberg Technology:

Tony Fadell, Future Shape principal, iPod inventor and iPhone co-inventor, sits down with Emily Chang to talk about how far Apple has come over the past two decades, where it’s headed next and why tech and sustainability are the next big challenges.

Cue the YouTube:

My take: The first iPod was released on Oct. 23, 2001. Fadell left Apple in 2010 to build a smart thermostat.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Made me look in the mirror and ask myself:
    “Where did the time
    …and the hair…
    go??” LOL

But agreed , it’s been a great Ten-Year-Tim period 🙂

Here’s to ten plus more years!!

October 22, 2021
  2. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    Well worth the time invested to watch the interview. Very positive comments on Apple. Thanks, PED!

October 22, 2021
    Hooray for everything Tony said.

October 22, 2021
  4. Hugh Lovell said:
    Very interesting interview. It seemed to me at times that Mr Faddell was interviewing for a job at Apple. I found the interviewer irritating. Decent questions though, and Mr Faddell’s answers seemed very direct and informed.

October 22, 2021
  5. Bill Haymaker said:
    My daughter spent 10 years with Intuit. They had Tony come in and talk to the RDPers. He showed a slide of his calendar and Bridgette took hers and showed him how much they were similar. He took the time to discuss it with her and couldn’t have been more charming even though she didn’t know his background nor “who he was”. A class act no matter the press that followed.

October 22, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      Bill: Good to have you join the conversation!

October 22, 2021
  6. Alessandro Luethi said:
    I like this guy!

October 23, 2021
    Something speaks loudly to me that this guy has the requisite intellect, talent, knowledge, skill, vision, operational expertise and emotional maturity to lead a major tech company as its next CEO. He knows & understands the Apple culture. Don’t allow yourself to be captured by the truncated comprehension that the next Apple CEO evolves from within 🙂

October 23, 2021
  8. Ken Cheng said:
    If Tony had won the argument, the first iPhone would have had the iPod OS as its iPhone OS, and not OS X.

October 23, 2021
    • Bill Haymaker said:
      The way I vaguely recall it was that Tony was tasked with guiding/championing that point of view and a prototype that went with it. Scott Forstall was tasked with an implementation utilizing a sub-set of OS X and the two were pitted against each other. I’m not sure that you can imply that Tony actually believed the winner was a bad and/or worse solution.

October 24, 2021