Branch: Apple's Search Ads have hit a home run

“It’s like Apple Search Ads has gone from playing in the minor leagues to winning the World Series"

From Patrick McGee's "Apple’s privacy changes create windfall for its own advertising business" ($) posted Saturday by the Financial Times: :

Apple’s advertising business has more than tripled its market share in the six months after it introduced privacy changes to iPhones that obstructed rivals, including Facebook, from targeting ads at consumers.

The in-house business, called Search Ads, offers sponsored slots in the App Store that appear above search results. Users who search for “Snapchat”, for example, might see TikTok as the first result on their screen.

Branch, which measures the effectiveness of mobile marketing, said Apple’s in-house business is now responsible for 58 per cent of all iPhone app downloads that result from clicking on an advert. A year ago, its share was 17 per cent.

“It’s like Apple Search Ads has gone from playing in the minor leagues to winning the World Series in the span of half a year,” said Alex Bauer, head of product marketing at Branch.

My take: Virtue has its earthly rewards.

Virtue has its earthly rewards.

Neither Vesteger nor Warren will see it that way. They are blind to what the consumer wants, and is willing to pay a premium to get.

October 17, 2021
    Well, this consumer finds Apple’s ads plus their marketing of Apple News + sufficiently annoying that I don’t use Apple News.app any more. And if I go to the App Store, it’s for a specific app, rather than for ‘shopping.’ So they’re not getting any love, let alone many clicks, from me.

October 17, 2021
    • Steven Philips said:
      It’s not the ads that put me off News+. It’s that it’s just a hot mess. I want chronological news from quality sources. Not the same stories over and over in different places as I scroll. And please let me exclude ANY source I don’t want to waste time seeing. Lots of other issues as well.

October 17, 2021
        It’s not the ads that put me off News+.

Every now and then there is a real news item, more than worthy of my time to read it, but by and large to much space is devoted to the same news articles repeated over a 3 or 4 day period. Certainly there has to be genuine news originating from around the world, that multiple postings of the same articles isn’t required to fill a virtual space.

October 18, 2021
  3. Michael Goldfeder said:
    @ Gregg Thurman: Vestager and Warren will always be green bubble people.

October 17, 2021
    • Robert Paul Leitao said:
      @Michael Goldfeder: I don’t know where the “green bubble people” live, but increasingly I think it’s in some altered state. Perhaps it’s in some parallel dystopian universe. So much gets lost in translation traveling across the great divide that separates one universe from another. The messages from people in the “green bubble universe” often seem garbled and lacking any reasoning or consistency in logic. If you find any inter-universal wormholes linking us and them, please close them quickly. We need to keep the world safe until we appoint a space envoy to promote some kind of distant dialogue. William Shatner just went into space, but something tells me he’s not quite the right guy.

October 17, 2021
      • Michael Goldfeder said:
        @ Robert: Vestager puts the “I” in Bias. I’m not sure who died and left her in charge of the EU. Quite a mistake. However, she has the leadership and political skill set of a very insignificant gnat. Evidenced by her total disdain for the sovereign tax code of Ireland that she hastily threw under the bus in her lifetime quest to hate everything Apple.
        With all due respect to wormholes, she’s an insatiable black hole with no alternative galaxies in sight.

October 17, 2021
        • Robert Paul Leitao said:
          @Michael Goldfeder: Nice prose. Well said.

October 18, 2021
          I think Vestager is an instance of that class of “people who believe they -know- what we need, and are convinced that, once we gain sufficient enlightenment, we’ll gladly 4defer to their decisions on our behalf”. These people (they exist on both sides of the political spectrum) show total disdain for both the ‘little people’ and for the legal and democratic processes that could constrain their “decisions on our behalf.”

October 18, 2021
    • Steven Philips said:
      Europe’s “Vestigal Version” of the squad all rolled into one!

October 17, 2021
  4. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    I’ve just finished a cursory review of Apple’s Search Ads policies. My view is: If you want to do business with the world’s best customers and among the world’s best customers are the world’s most informed customers, treat them well. First and foremost, I am an Apple customer. I prefer to engage within Apple’s walled garden. Any purchases I make through Apple – from the web site to the retail stores and through the app stores – is as an Apple customer. Apple’s Search Ads policies respect my preferences. Why is this so hard for advertisers and marketers to understand? I’m busy enough each day unsubscribing from email lists to which I never subscribed because some over zealous (or unscrupulous) party sold my email address to another party with which I don’t want to do business.

October 17, 2021