Foxconn to build electric trucks in Ohio for Lordstown

From Bloomberg's "Lordstown Nears Deal to Sell Ohio Plant to Taiwan’s Foxconn" posted Thursday:

Lordstown Motors Corp., the electric-truck maker running low on cash, is near an agreement to sell its highly politicized Ohio factory to Taiwan’s Foxconn Technology Group, people familiar with the matter said.

The companies are set to announce the pact as soon as later Thursday, said the people, who asked not to be named as the plan isn’t yet public. They didn’t disclose the value of the transaction. Lordstown Motors struck a deal with General Motors Co. in late 2019 to buy the plant the automaker opened in 1966.

The sale will bring in much-needed funds and potentially help Lordstown Motors realize the benefits of large-scale manufacturing faster by building multiple models in the same facility along with Foxconn. For the biggest assembler of Apple Inc.’s iPhone, the plant would establish the company’s auto manufacturing footprint in the U.S. as it pushes into electric vehicles.

My take: The New York Times and Wall Street Journal both picked up Bloomberg's story,  reporting the deal as a nonbinding agreement or an agreement in principle. All three stories mention Apple. Foxconn is not Apple, of course, but the two companies are tight.

I can’t see the connection this news announcement has with Apple other than Foxconn is an assembler for Apple’s iPhones, but what does that have to do with this plant and with this working arrangement between Foxconn and Lordstown Motors? Am I missing something here?

October 1, 2021
    • Peter Kropf said:
      Hi Jerry,

Reading tea leaves here…

It seems to me Foxconn now has access to a very large assembly plant. (Maybe they’ll own it, maybe not.) I think the plant may be large enough to handle both Lordstowne’s and Apple’s initial rollout of production.

If true, then this is Apple’s initial assembly plant if Apple, Foxconn, and Lordestwon agree on terms and plans.

October 3, 2021
    Need help. Started my Mac mini this morning and was greeted by a window that announced “ServiceRecords” will damage your computer”. I’m given two options 1/ OK and 2/ Show in Finder.

At the bottom of the window is a checkmark box that has been checked and reads Report malware to Apple to protect other users.

I went to Apple’s home page to contact Support and can find nothing. Anybody got a number for Support, or better yet know what this is and how to get rid of it?

October 1, 2021
      In Preferences under Security and Privacy I found an advisal for exactly the window showing up on my screen. It said put offending files in da trash and put da trash on da curb. NOW. I did that and the advisal window went away. I then restarted my Mac mini and changed my password.

There were two files MacOS Big Sur did not like. I have no idea where they came from, I haven’t downloaded a new file in ages.

October 1, 2021
      • Greg Lippert said:
        Hi Greg, I did some research. It can come from a browser extension (via Chrome) or an application. Make sure you have deleted LaunchAgent files or it can reinstall. This page had some helpful info.

easysolvemalware.com/remove-servicerecords-will-damage-your-computer-malware-on-mac-os/#sectionb

Here was. YouTube video
        youtu.be/NwfUUW4rYF8

Good luck!

October 1, 2021
        • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
          Nice!
          I love this place❣️

October 1, 2021
          How did something get into LaunchAgent or /Applications without admin password?

(Nice write-up, but there’s no way I’d load their recommended anti-spyware app on my computer!)

October 1, 2021
          • Greg Lippert said:
            Agreed, I was not recommending their malware but the do-it-yourself tricks.

October 1, 2021
          Thanks Greg. I remember seeing LaunchAgent when I deleted the Service Records file. Now I can’t find it. I wondering if it was automatically deleted when I deleted ServiceRecords.

October 1, 2021
            The Youtube video must be for a different version of MacOS. There was no First Aid app under Utilities on my version Big Sur 11.6

October 1, 2021
            • Greg Lippert said:
              In disk utility, there is a first aid tab

October 1, 2021
    • Ken Cheng said:
      Did you have Citrix software installed?

October 1, 2021