Apple’s Siri: The dumbest of the artificial intelligent assistants just got dumber

From Juli Clover’s “Recent Siri Changes Remove Call, Email, and Voicemail Features Used by Low Vision and Blind Users” posted Wednesday on MacRumors:

Several ‌Siri‌ commands that provide details on phone calls, voicemails, and sending emails no longer appear to be working. The following commands used to be functional, but have recently been removed.

• Do I have any voicemails?
    • Play my voicemail messages
    • Check my call history
    • Check my recent calls
    • Who called me?
    • Send an email
    • Send an email to [person]

Asking ‌Siri‌ to provide details on recent phone calls or voicemails results in the following response: “I can’t help with that, but you can ask me to open the Phone app.” Asking about email garners a similar response about ‌Siri‌ being unable to help.

My take:  Apple is telling users it is “aware of the issue,” but what’s surprising is that the issue didn’t surface in the betas. Expect an update.

1. Ralph McDarmont said:
    Hey Siri. Call Tim and tell him someone needs to be fired. Thank you.

September 30, 2021
    Come on media. Relax! Apple will issue a software update and all will be fine. I cannot use my new iPhone 13 Watch/mask feature to unlock my phone. You don’t hear me and all others having a meltdown. Yes, it is disconcerting the issues evolve and one wonders why individuals who are blind working for Apple didn’t catch this problem earlier. Little doubt Apple will learn from it as they will learn about the Watch/mask issue. Believe me, that is a feature I currently am missing as others are too, but one doesn’t see the press/media having a tizzy over that issue.

September 30, 2021
    AAPL is dropping today, like it does on many other days, and we’re being fed news about Apple’s Jelly Roll, Stern’s documentary, Jon Stewart, TC’s new house, etc.

I’m here to discuss aapl and Apple business. If I want the other stuff I’ll join a social site.

September 30, 2021
    Upvoted Jerry, Gregg, Joseph.

It’s a miracle that Apple gets so many features to work cross platform. That’s why we all love Apple products. “We” includes all those who gripe about the glitches.

Mr. Jelly Troll is a prime example. He’s like a teenager suffering from affluenza, who complains about his hand-me-down Acura because some kids at high school drive Teslas. Did anyone notice how many Apple devices he owns, the poor suffering child.

September 30, 2021
  5. Rodney Avilla said:
    This is why most recommend waiting a week or 2 before updating. No need to be an early adopter. And good reason not to be.
    Of course this does not excuse Apple quality control. But no need to fire anyone. Just update their training. Next time they will be smarter. Hopefully.

September 30, 2021
  6. I’m still trying to figure out what happened to Do Not Disturb. For some reason I cannot focus.

September 30, 2021
      Yeah, I was upset that iOS 15 removed my Do Not Disturb setting (found out the hard way when an auto-text message woke me up in the middle of the night.). It’s Settings -> Focus -> Do Not Disturb now. I don’t mind moving it, I do mind not carrying the previous setting forward!

October 1, 2021