Virtually live from Apple’s California Streaming event

No surprises. They spent a lot of time on cameras, colors and battery life. I’ll buy the new iPhone and trade in my old. I’ll probably wait on the Watch. No interest in the iPads.

All times Eastern.

2:18: And that’s a wrap. Stock is at $147.38, the day’s low so far.

2:16 Back to Tim for summary. iPad. iPad mini. Apple Watch Series 7. Apple Fitness+, iPhone 13. iPhone 13 Pro. “These are the best iPhones we’ve ever created.” They say that every year. Stay safe, and take care.

1:57 Back to Tim. iPhone Pro lineup. “Most Pro iPhone ever.” Not the best pitch. Video is all about the cameras. Three again. Bigger. Joz: takes it away

Bands. Four finishes. Sierra blue. Ceramic shield. Inside redesigned. Bigger battery. Pro Max.

A15 bionic revisited. 5-core GPU in the pro models. Super Retina XDR display. ProMotion. 10Hz to 120 Hz, as rumored. Adaptive Refresh Rate. Not sure that video showed ProMotion in action.

Camera system. Bigger, wider lenses. 77mm telephoto. Low light improved. Macrophotography. Ultra wide to 2 cm.

Photographaphic styles. Choose from 4. But will it remember that I look to shoot my latte’s square? Can I change the boca focus later, after the movie’s been shot?

ProRes video coming later. A lot of term of art here that I don’t recognize.

Battery: up to 1.5 hours for Pro, 2.5 hour for Max. Environment etc.

Pro starts at $999 (memory DOES go up to 1 terabyte, at least in the U.S.), Max at $1099. Up to $1000 off. Preorder Friday Sept. 17, avail Sept 24.

1:38 Back to Tim. Now, iPhone. People love iPhone. Thrilled, etc. Video. two camera version. iPhone 13. One LESS camera?! At least they look bigger. [UPDATE: Oh, I get it. This is the low end version] Arranged diagonally. 20% smaller eyebrow. Recycled bottles is a first. OK. Brighter. Better power efficiency. OLED display. iPhone. A15 praised. I wish I understood more. It’s faster, that much I get. 16 core neural engine for machine learning tasks. ML gets more real estate every upgrade. Camera system gets some iPhone 12 Pro features.

Cinematic mode. Rack focus for fun whodunnit video. iPhone ML does the automatic focus changes. Pretty cool. I don’t know how much use it will get, but it’s something the competition can’t do.

5G gets its own segment. “The world is moving quickly to 5G.” 200 carriers by end of the years. For Binge-watching with friends.

Better battery life. 1.5 hours longer. Bigger battery.

Privacy. Vast ecosystem. Magsafe. Cases. Magsafe leather wallet with Findmy. Good idea!

Mini starts at $699. iPhone 13 $799. Much unsafe driving in the ad.

1:37 Stock hovering near the day’s low of $148.28.

1:31 Apple Fitness+ “Our users love it.” (Not me; workouts are hard!) From 6 countries. Adding 15 more. Now with Pilates. (Can I hang upside down?) Guided meditations. I might try that. Fitness + Group Workouts. Friends in inset screen. Up to 32(!) people at once.

1:21 Back to Tim. Apple Watch. Tim stresses health aspect, unsurprisingly. Jeff Williams, CEO in waiting? New bike features, Reminders, e-bikes, fall sensing. Made for me! Next gen Apple Watch video… Series 7. 20% more screen area. Shape changed as rumored. 70% brighter when down.

Buttons enlarged. 50% more text. New watch faces. More durable. Crack resistant crystal. IPX certification. 18-hour battery life. 30% faster charge. 5 new colors (sigh). Environmental boilerplate.

Line-up Series 3 $199 SE $299 7 $399.

Biker asks: How far have I gone? (again for me on my bike!) Fun video, again for TV ad.

1:12 Back to Tim. iPad mini. This one is the “all new” iPad mini. Purple! Pink! Thinner bezels. 40% jump in CPU from previous mini. Best of breed games used to get stage time. Now they’re tucked seamlessly into the text. USBC port. (Finally?) 5G to iPad mini. 3.5 GB per second downloads, but only for the highest cellular real estate. Same new camera as iPad below. High-production video, presumably for TV ads. Starts at $499, more for cellular. Environmental virtues signaled.

1:05 Product announcements start with iPad. Not a device I’m in the market for, but one in which Apple keeps investing. Grown by over 40% this past year. This is the new iPad… (huh? no name besides “new”?) Praise for the A13 chip. Big upgrade in front camera for Zooming, with center stage (from iPad pro). Classic Apple, moving pro feature into the mainstream product. Praise for iPadOS 15. A lot of adjectives here. $329, 64GB. $299 educational. Order today, available next week.

1:02. Tim Cook opens optimistically. Starting with Apple TV+

130 awards, 500 nominations. 35 prime time emmy, 20 for Ted Lasso. (Careful not to overplay Ted, Tim.) Clips of fall premiers. Something for everyone.

1:01 Music video. Desert, redwoods, Apple tower, etc. California scenes. California soul. Nice mood setter.

1:00: Music resolves into a chord. Same geese flying.

12:59. The suspense builds.

12:57: Tinkling music, the sunrise image from the invitation. Geese flying across the horizon.

12:55: T minus 5, gulping down my lunch, launching Apple TV.

1. Mordechai Beizer said:
    I miss Jony Ives. Nothing can match his narration. “Surgical grade stainless steel” would sound so much better if Ives were saying it. The guy describing the iPhone 13pro has a boring delivery.

Where’s my bespoke, hand-crafted alooomeenium…

September 14, 2021
  2. $1,099 starting price for 13 Pro Max? Rather interesting price point for a loaded device capable of hi-res videos & macros. That last feature will get my preorder. I’m rather tired of toting lenses & DSLRs outdoors that are not waterproof.

September 14, 2021
    Did anyone catch at the very end. “Our mightiest mini ever”?

Mighty Mouse is a rip-off by 20th century fox of Disney’s iconic Mickey and Minnie.

4. Bart Yee said:
    Wow!! Incremental my ass!!!

If people can’t understand how much new technology is packed into these all new products, higher memory, superior customer Apple Silicon, larger batteries and battery life, ALL at the same prices as last year,

AND

the lineup includes iPhone 13, lower prices on iPhone 12 and 11 as midrange models, and the “entry level” iPhone SE which STILL has a faster CPU than 85-90% of all Android products current or coming, then they are just blind!

Apple is also not going to stagger its intro, every iPhone will be available at the same time – meaning Q4 2021 is going to be a blowout!

• Bart Yee said:
      I should have waited on buying two iPads in the last three months. BUT, that doesn’t mean I can’t buy the new iPads or iPad Minis? Why and how? Because Apple’s dividend will be paid around Nov. 11. Remember Apple investors, Apple PAYS YOU to buy Apple products, for some, a whole new suite of Apple products every quarter.

BTW, remember Mr Lewis of $18M or so Apple holdings? At 121K shares, his dividends will ~ $26,700 this quarter. Wait two quarters and he could buy an Apple Car when it comes out.

• Fred Stein said:
      Yes Bart, incremental is the new black.

Many shallow analysts miss two things. 1) Apple’s core technology – chips, and the sw layers, leads the world, so staying ahead means a lot. 2) Incremental improvements look really big if one has a 3 year-old or more device, any Apple device.

September 14, 2021
    The iPhone 13s, mini to Pro Max, feed the ecosystem form game developers and their consumers to the video producers and consumers. As well, this feeds upgrades of the higher-end Macs for post-shoot editing.

At $299 for schools, the latest iPad feeds that ecosystem.

These ripple effects go on and on.

Sweeney will never know.

• Bart Yee said:
        @Gregg, Fred and Thomas.
        Yep, along with all the iPhone 12,‘s and now even better iPhone 13’s, there’s a whole generation of young, willing to spend Apple users, many who were never concerned with the costs, and who keep wondering why Sweeney and Epic keep denying them access to Fortnite via iOS.

Will iOS users migrate to Steam and other games, sure. Will many of them continue to feel somewhat betrayed and disgruntled, I hope so. Will many flock back to Fortnite if it gets back on iOS, I expect so.

What I don’t understand is how much money is Epic’s board willing to forego by keeping Fortnite from iOS by not complying? By focusing on trying to get more of 30%, Epic / Sweeney seems to be more than willing to give up its 70%. Seems to me it hurts them a lot more than it hurts Apple, but then I’m not (and Apple’s not) the one with a CEO who has an ego problem.

September 14, 2021
      • Debated putting that line on Sweeney’s Twitter feed but I realized he already knew it. Probably sippin’ a scotch or seltzer water regretting some piece of this colossal debacle. If he is not, more power to his faux David v Goliath routine. I no longer ask the question if the answer is obvious to most folks. Stopped referring folks to Sun Tzu’s Art of War. Every library has copies, read it, quite effective.

September 14, 2021
          I suspect Sweeney’s ego is too big to let Sweeney realize what he has “accomplished” for his company.

I was hoping for glucose in the Apple Watch 🙁

A great set of incremental updates, but nothing to make me jump out and trade in the iPhone 12/iPhone 11/2019 iPads…

BUT, I am VERY READY for a new 15″/16″ laptop!

• Darren DMW said:
      David, that’s the beauty of the Apple product range. They only need each customer to be ready for 1 or 2 of their products each year for Apple to prosper.

This year it is an iPhone 13 Pro for me.

Last year was M1 MacBook Air.

Next year series 8 watch in stainless steel.

And so it goes.

September 14, 2021
        We’re on a 3 year cycle for iPhones, 4-5 for iPads, and “when the old machine is ready to go” on computers. Wife”s 2014 Mini started showing problems, so she got an M1 this year.

So I can’t say we’ve been on “a new Apple Toy every year” cycle. (My primary machine is a ’14 MB Pro 15″/1tb SSD, with a ’15 MB Pro 15″/1tb SSD used machine as back-up. And I have 2 other Intel Minis, 2011 and 2014. The 2011 machine will probably get replaced by the 2014 machine, and we’ll be down to only 2 Minis from the current 3. (Wife’s machine, file server, web server – I’ll probably put the big RAID on wife’s M1.)

We have spent more on IT this year than the last 5 years, with 1 new iPad, the new Mini, and a pair of Thunderbolt/USB-C RAID enclosures. Add a new MB Pro later this year, and that’ll make it a peak spending year.

September 14, 2021
    Verizon has offered me $700 trade-in for my 10S Max, but their 5G coverage is the pits. I’m paying for something (5G iPad Pro) i can’t use. T-Mobile coverage looks to be nearly complete. I’m really tempted to switch carriers.

8. Bart Yee said:
    I think what will grab the average consumer is longer battery life, essentially regaining the iPhone 11’s lauded battery life even with much high CPU capabilities.

If people are upgrading from iPhone X and below, the difference will be huge, even for the iPhone 13 mini.

September 14, 2021
      If people are upgrading from iPhone X and below, the difference will be huge,

I hope so.

9. Darren DMW said:
    Surprised there were no new AirPods.

Pre-Xmas launch is the obvious time and is a new product at a more affordable gifting price.

Plus there must be millions whose AirPod batteries are close to EOL.

September 14, 2021
    Been thinking about iPhone upgrade cycles.

WS keeps using 3 1/2 years as a talking point. I think we’ve reached a point where it pretty much doesn’t matter anymore. With a 1 billion unit installed base, a 4 year upgrade cycle still means 250 million new devices each year with many of those going to former Android users.

• Jerry Doyle said:
      @Gregg Thurman: Yes, you are correct. This fact gradually is being absorbed by many. WS soon will recognize this fact, too. I have denoted as much in previous comments. It easily can become like a rolling wave where every four years a base of 250 million users upgrade. That’s a “base” upgrade.

I commented the other day, though, that the rolling wave could grow exponentially if the telco carriers returned to their once every two year upgrade cycles offering their discount incentives to upgrade. Consumers previously were in the habit of upgrading every two years because of telco carriers’ incentive plans. Carriers abandoned those incentive upgrade plans and that is when users started holding onto their phones longer.

Most consumers upgrading now are not upgrading because of 5G; they are upgrading because of the carriers’ monetary incentives. So, if the carriers desire to prevent churn (which is what happened when they abandoned their upgrade incentives previously) they should continue with their upgrade incentive plans going forward for retaining their loyal customers. Consequently, this means the possibility of up to a potential 500,000,000 upgrade wave every two years. No matter, we likely are guaranteed a 250 million upgrade annually. This is where we have arrived.