Stung by criticism, Apple is rethinking its child safety regime

From William Gallagher's "Apple backs down on CSAM features, postpones launch" posted Friday:

Following widespread criticism, Apple has announced that it will not be launching its child protection features as planned, and will instead "take additional time" to consult.

 In an email sent to AppleInsider and other publications, Apple says that it has taken the decision to postpone its features following the reaction to its original announcement.
"Last month we announced plans for features intended to help protect children from predators who use communication tools to recruit and exploit them, and limit the spread of Child Sexual Abuse Material," said Apple in a statement.

"Based on feedback from customers, advocacy groups, researchers and others," it continues, "we have decided to take additional time over the coming months to collect input and make improvements before releasing these critically important child safety features."

My take: 'Tis the season for Apple concessions. Clearing debris from the runway before the next product launch?

3 Comments

  1. Gregg Thurman said:
    I think the criticism is a product of emotional ignorance on how it works. There is no way to convince the emotional: ergo delaying the release of this feature is smart.

    3
    September 3, 2021
  2. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    I think Apple maybe should have initially put more emphasis on soundly convincing their public, before so soundly convincing themselves on the matter.

    0
    September 3, 2021
  3. Jerry Doyle said:
    It never has been about the CSAM features targeted at child safety. It’s all about the “precedence” this foray into personal privacy emanating from the phone establishes.

    0
    September 3, 2021

Leave a Reply