Apple 3.0 Exclusive: Ask me anything with TWIT.tv’s Leo Laporte (video)

The king of consumer tech talk takes all questions in this subscriber-only Zoom. To subscribe, click SUBSCRIBE.

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. To access, please login or subscribe

1. David Drinkwater said:
    It was a very *different* show this time.

But it is not necessarily bad to have your core beliefs challenged. Just … uncomfortable.

August 21, 2021
  2. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    This was an excellent Apple 3.0 Ask-Me-Anything event. Leo has a well-informed and unique perspective on Apple as a company and the manner in which Apple approaches its product markets. I very much enjoyed the exchange.

August 22, 2021
  3. Michael Goldfeder said:
    This was a very interactive opportunity that was more like a conversational dinner party experience. Quite enjoyable and also extremely informative.

August 22, 2021
  4. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    I liked Leo’s all-encompassing opinions from years of experience — especially his stance of always thinking of the end consumer with his podcast product.

It’s where the busy tech road ends.

August 22, 2021
    I agree with Michael G and David D. I enjoyed the interaction that seemed as if it were a get-together dinner following an Apple shareholders’ meeting as we had in Cupertino in 2020.

I particularly welcome David D’s comment that it is not necessarily bad to have one’s core beliefs challenged. If we as investors are to grow and understand our Apple investment better, then we need to digest more Leo Laporte’s corresponding angular Apple perspectives.

This was one of the better Apple 3.0 “Ask Me Anything Apple Events.” I welcomed and appreciated Leo Laporte’s affable and affectionate Apple perspective along with his willingness to give us his candid and unvarnished Apple assessment. I need to hear that kind of assessment for allowing me to navigate correctly using my Apple investment compass.

I also welcome Kirk D’s question relative to an Apple investment arc. I am all-in on Apple similar to Apple emeritus 3.0 Joseph Bland. I dove all-in immediately after Joseph denoted his Apple all-in investment in 2018 to Tim Cook at the shareholders’ meeting. By moving all-in then, I have made awesome gains through Apple’s exponential growth in the last few years over my having been diversified previously. Kirk DeBernardi, though, is correct relative to an Apple investment arc that at some point diversification is the path for me to return. Yet, Apple clearly is “firing-on-all-cylinders” and I do not see any slippage in Apple growth trajectory over the horizon. I needed, though, as a reminder to hear Leo Laporte’s take on Apple buy backs, and on some other areas whether I agree with him or not; I value Laporte’s input. It is interesting that Leo’s comments still relegates Apple as being a One Pony iPhone show. That was like a slap-across-my-face.

Lastly, I continue to be impress with the personal character, the principled gentlemanly conventionalism of the Apple 3.0 members that was on display particularly during this Apple 3.0 Event.

August 22, 2021
  6. David Drinkwater said:
    I had two very fundamental (and strong) disagreements with Laporte:

1) His characterization of Apple as still being, essentially, just an iPhone company (while lamenting the strength and power of the App Store). Apple is definitely way more than an iPhone company, and even though we don’t know what’s next, something’s surely coming. The iPad is more than he acknowledged. The Watch is something that *will* grow. AirPods *will* grow. AirTags *will* grow. The Mac is not dead by any manner of means. And the App Store will remain a very strong economy.

Apple will never sell “the most” of anything by quantity, but I do not think they will fail financially any time soon. The iPhone (while not the existence of Apple) is a very sustainable annuity.

2) His characterization of the Walled Geraden as bad for customers. I think he misunderstands the metaphor. A Walled Garden is a very comfortable place where you want to me. The walls keep out the street noise. The gates are open. You can leave if you want, but, mostly, you don’t want to. You leave if you have to: if you have to go to work (in a Winter shop), or because you can’t pay the rent (even if only temporarily).

OK, so there is a park ranger who says “don’t mess up the garden”. Gardens grow wild without tending. It has to happen.

Fundamentally, people will *chose* to stay on Apple products and in the Walled Garden. There is no monopoly. People *choose* Apple.

Finally, this CSAM thing. Don’t complain about CSAM. Just don’t be a perv and look at pictures of kids. There is plenty of other sick and twisted stuff on the internet to look at if you need to get your rocks off. Just don’t f*ck with kids.

August 22, 2021
  7. Thomas Larkin said:
    That was well worth the time.

I hadn’t actually heard Mr. Laporte before, but it was clear he has a wealth of knowledge, understands what he is talking about, and is thus a worthy provocateur.

I don’t agree with all of his conclusions or opinions, but they are informed. A deeper dive into the whole philosophical debate about the ‘walled garden’, innovation, and consumer choice.

August 22, 2021