CODA on Apple TV+ is 'exquisite' (video)

Apple may be getting the hang of the Hollywood game.

From Brian Lowry's "'Coda' is a small movie that hits all the right notes"  posted on CNN entertainment:

"Coda" is a small movie, exquisitely made. Touching, funny and stirring, it would be the kind of movie you'd urge a friend to run out and see, except they'll only need to stay home and ante up to stream it on Apple TV+.

The tech giant's streaming service stepped up to buy the film for what Deadline reported to be a record sum coming out of the Sundance Film Festival, and at a moment where a lot of money's being thrown around for such acquisitions -- chasing awards prestige, attention or a little of both -- this one actually looks well spent.

Trailer:

My take: As of this morning, CODA (an acronym for Child of Deaf Adults) had scored 93% out of 188 Rotten Tomatoes reviews. I liked Lowry's because it went straight to the $4.95/month business proposition. I've cued CODA up for tonight's entertainment.

UPDATE: Bring your handkerchiefs.

1. George Row said:
    I watched CODA last night and have to say that I agree with Brian Lowry and with the Audience and Jury at the Sundance Film Festival.
    CODA is a small but well formed story and yet it covers a lot of ground in a short time.

It is a coming of age story, a small town girl makes good story, a clash of cultures. It tackles a lot of things and yet the narrative holds together and seems authentic.
    Did I mention I enjoyed it immensely?

August 14, 2021
      Nice to hear from you George.

August 14, 2021
    It was good, very good. Emilia has a future as an actress AND as a songstress.

CODA hit a deep emotional chord. I really liked it.

$4.95/month for just one movie like this, per month, is a sensational bargain.

August 14, 2021
  3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Quality build-outs rarely arrive on the quick.

Apple TV+ is a quality play.

August 14, 2021
      With the quality of Apple’s movie fare I can see Apple TV+ slowly eating into Prime and Netflix’ subscriber base. Why?

I don’t see Apple customers as being binge-o-matic series watchers. They’ve got lives that go beyond the tube. When they do sit down to watch something they aren’t going to want to wade through a library dominated by tripe to find something worthy of their time.

Right now Apple is piggy backing others content, but once Apple’s library hits critical mass those relationships will disappear.

August 14, 2021
      • Kirk DeBernardi said:
        Above all, and as mentioned above, it’s simply a streaming value at the price — by any metric.

August 14, 2021