Analyst: Apple may have just doomed Zoom (video)

“Today the biggest surprise was their attack on Zoom, Microsoft and Facebook” — Capital Advisors’ David Williams

From “Apple’s never first but usually get it right: Williams Capital Advisors” aired early Thursday on CNBC International:

My take: Williams has a pretty good handle on Apple. Note that Zoom’s share price took a hit during Monday’s FaceTime presentation at WWDC21, but quickly recovered. Jason Snell, for one, thinks Apple had its chance last summer, and that this fall — when FaceTime’s fancy new features become available for  Android and Windows users — may be too late to matter.

1. I’m convinced these features are coming to further defang Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Whatsapp & TikTok. My siblings briefly had me on Snapchat, until I balked at their total invasion of privacy. We’re back sharing baby videos in Messages & the occasional FaceTime calls. App Store App Privacy details have weaned me off many nefarious apps. The requests to track across apps came from nearly every app I once regularly used.

June 10, 2021
    • Roger Schutte said:
      Thomas, instead of using iMessage, our daughter adds photos + videos into a shared album in her Photos application. We all get notified when she adds pix of our two granddaughters and we can add to it when we have album worthy photos. My Mom is 80 years old so her getting a notification with a link that opens up to the new photos is great!

June 10, 2021
    Vestager must be drooling over a chance to go after Apple’s expanded FaceTime. Surely there’s an antitrust violation in there somewhere.

June 10, 2021
  3. Timothy Smith said:
    When do we get PED 3.0 FaceTimes?

June 10, 2021
  4. John Konopka said:
    I think they are making too much of this. Zoom certainly got a boost lately, but I don’t see that they have a lot of stickiness. Skype was on top for a while. At work we used something from Adobe (already forgot what it was) then Webex and now we can choose that or Teams. The new features will make FaceTime more popular, but I don’t see it becoming dominant. Personally I’m excited about being able to share my screen. I can use that to help my mom with her Apple products.

June 10, 2021
      Skype was on top for a while.

Then Steve Ballmer led MSFT bought them. Kiss of death.

June 10, 2021
  5. Peter Kropf said:
    Zoom has to be wary. Its stickiness today is that 100s of millions have been ‘trained’ and are now able to get things done on Zoom.

June 10, 2021
  6. bas flik said:
    teams is too complex. we installed but seldom used it. too much options. zoom works. most of these application do not work. by working i mean clicking 15 seconds on buttons and you are zooming without knowing what you clicked or what you did. and zoom makes money. highly unusual nowadays. most hipster apps live on free private equity money. they can not even spell the word “profit”.

June 11, 2021
  7. Mark Visnic said:
    @ Philip. “ Jason Snell, for one, thinks Apple had its chance last summer, and that this fall — when FaceTime’s fancy new features become available for Android and Windows users — may be too late to matter.”

Even Snell finally concludes: “No, it isn’t too late.”

“So is all of this too late? I’m not going to defy Betteridge’s Law (named after former MacUser editor Ian Betteridge, by the way). I think the answer is probably “no.””

Sacconaghi opined that it was too late.

June 12, 2021