Doctor uses Apple Watch to stabilize baby born on flight to Hawaii

One of the happiest Watch-saves-life stories I’ve heard.

From AppleInsider’s “Apple Watch used to assist in-flight surprise labor & delivery” posted Monday:

An unexpected birth on a flight across the ocean required doctors and nurses to employ clever uses of on-flight items, including an Apple Watch, to keep the newborn stable.

Raymond Mounga was born 11 weeks early on a Delta flight from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Honolulu, Hawaii on April 28, to Lavinia Mounga, who didn’t even know she was pregnant…

Dr. Dale Glenn, a family physician at Straub Medical Center, helped the nurses devise a plan to keep the newborn safe.

“None of the equipment we have was suitable for a premature baby, and this baby was born at 29 weeks instead of the normal 40 weeks, right?” said Dr. Glenn. “So we made baby warmers out of bottles that were microwaved. We used an Apple Watch to measure the heart rate.”

My take: Yes, the Heart Rate app works on newborns. Cue the video:

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Aloha, Baby Raymond.
    Mahalo, Apple.

May 6, 2021
    First it was saving stranded hikers, wind surfers, hikers, heart attack victims and such. Now it’s monitoring newborns.

But Apple is a monopoly, we should break them up. I think the public pushback will be intense if it ever comes to that.

I’d sure like to know what Apple thinks it will sell this Christmas season.

May 6, 2021
  3. Steven Philips said:
    Apple baby monitors?
    Measure heart rate, breathing, temperature etc.
    No more SIDS?

May 6, 2021
    • Fred Stein said:
      Great idea, especially for busy professional parents who have discretionary money to spend and get real time info on everything else.

May 6, 2021
  4. Aaron Belich said:
    Note: Video is not showing the heart rate app, just Digital Touch.

The beats per minute looks awfully low for a newborn. In fact, despite the support docs reading differently, I just tried this with my own Apple Watch. The heart rate sensor isn’t turning on at all while doing a digital touch heart beat. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

May 6, 2021
    • “Not only is this video not of the pre-term baby discussed in the article (video is from six years ago), the video isn’t representative of the actual events.”

My bad.

May 6, 2021
  5. John Konopka said:
    Super lucky there were three neonatal nurses on that flight and a doctor.

May 6, 2021
  6. Joe Murphy said:
    Even more so, per CNN, the nurses were neonatal icu nurses.

May 6, 2021