This week's Apple trading strategies (4/25-4/29)

A place for Apple traders and investors to share their best ideas -- Q2 2021 earnings week edition.

To get things rolling, here's Bernstein's Toni Sacconaghi on CNBC just before the Spring Loaded event anticipating the market's reaction to the new products and explaining why the stock hasn't repeated last year's performance.

Below: Apple vs. the S&P 500…

apple trading strategies 4-25Disclosure: Although I am now an Apple shareholder (see Why I bought a share of Apple, my first), I am in no position to give financial advice. Don’t blame me if you drain your IRA doing something you read about here.

See also last week’s trading strategies.

1. Troy Thoman said:
    if the stock doesn’t react to crazy good earnings for the second quarter in a row (doesn’t go higher than $140) then I think loading up on it would be smart, because the capital return program plus growing services, mac, and wearables rev will eventually cause exponential stock growth.

April 25, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Troy Thoman: well stated, Troy T.

April 25, 2021
    Sacconaghi is the epitome of the Party hack. He can’t visualize the future so, to be safe, he cites “the market” (a bunch of followers) to sound like his opinions are reasoned. The reality is that his opinions are hollow.

April 25, 2021
    • Jerry Doyle said:
      @Gregg Thurman: What puzzles me about Sacconaghi is analysts are suppose to follow the puck, not looking in the rear view mirror.

April 25, 2021
    My trades following January earnings were very unsuccessful for 3 weeks (still can’t get my head around that), so I paused my investing for 5 weeks, during which time I would have had some winners, to get by whatever was distorting sentiment.

I’m happy to report that this past week is the second in a row that I my trades were successful (averaging just over 50% ROI) since returning to the playing field.

For the upcoming week, mindful of what happened last earnings, I’ll be trading half as much as my strategy calls for, seeking about 15% ROI (deeep in the money). Thursday after earnings, and seeing the market’s reaction I’ll Close out my position or pile on. This week’s post earnings reaction will influence my future trades.

April 25, 2021
  4. Michael Goldfeder said:
    The amount Apple will set aside for buybacks ought to move the stock as icing on the cake after another record reporting period.

I’m saying the number will be at least $65 billion. Probably a 10% rise in the dividend as well.

April 25, 2021