Live from Apple’s Spring Loaded event

All times Eastern.

2:00 That’s a wrap. What Tim just said.

1:59 Back to Tim with summary of the new stuff: Apple Card for spouses, Podcast subscriptions, AirTags, Apple TV 4K, iMac with M1, iPad Pro with M1.

1:58 Final video.

1:57 Starts at $799 11-inch, $1,099 for 12.9-inch. Order April 30, April second half of May.

1:55 Accessories. Pencil. Scribble. Smart and magic keyboards. Recycled etc.

1:52 Developers talk. Transcribe music. Call tennis shots in or out. Design bridges. Etc.

1:51 What users can do with different apps.

1:50 How XDR gets done with 10,000 mini LEDs . (What is XDR, again?)

1:48 Liquid crystal retina display section. There are two sizes? 12.9 inch gets more nits (not from lice).

1:42 Comes in a 2 Terabyte model. With 5G cellular connections (for some models?) Face ID. Wide angle camera. Center Stage (c). Pans to follow you as you move. Cool.

1:39 M1 iPad Pro. All that stuff they said about what M1 brought to the iMac, they’re saying about the iPad Pro. Good time for a biobreak.

1:37 Mission Impossible type-video. They spent some $ on this transition…

1:35 Available for pre-order April 30, ships May 2H Starts at $1299, $1,499 for more features.

1:34 Cue the video.

1:33 With magnetic connector, touch ID, iPad is getting features the iOS devices have had for years.

1:29 Price? Availability? I’ll have to wait.

1:26 HD camera for Zooms. Lots of lighting and tone enhancements on the fly. Better mics, too. 6-speaker system. I imagine the rendering speeds will blow away comparably priced Windows machines. Magnetic connector!

1:22 iMac in 7 colors. Very like candy. “Bursting with flavor color” Bold color on back, disappears from the side. Logic board shrinks, two small fans. Cool demo. 50% reduction in volume. 24 in. display. and more specs than I care to type.

1:20 Whale transition? 1000s of universal apps that take advantage of M1.

1:19 Mac section. M1 moves to iMac, is what the rumors said.

1:17 New remote! Power button, mute, side Siri button. $179 or $199. Available May 2H.

1:14 Apple 4K. Do I have that? I don’t even know. Ah, they’ve added some Apple Silicon: 12 Bionic. Now we find out what was wrong with the old Apple TV box. Cool color balancing tool, but I wonder how many people will use it.

1:11 Apple TV section. Sneak peek. So far all Ted Lasso.

1:10 Emphasis on privacy. Rotating IDs, Alerts. $29. $99 for a 4-pack. Avail April 30. Goodbye Tile.

1:09 AirTags. Precision Finding is a pretty good marketing word.

1:07 Find My. Could this be the tags… Yes! Cue the video. Trippy video, with mushrooms.

1:05 iPhone 12 features yada yada yada. The Candy Man introduces purple. (Purple Haze?) Glad I didn’t fly to Cupertino for that.

1:04 The Apple Podcast news. Subscriptions, as predicted. $ for podcasters. Yay.

1:03 Apple Card: spouses get equal rights and equal credit. Apple Card Family. No mention of the complaints from Woz and others that made this happen.

1:01 Tim Cook starts the show with talk of public service.

1:00 Cue the voice, cool tour of the park

12:58: Cue the music, motion graphics.

1. Bart Yee said:
    Ok, order for two Apple TV w/A12 Bionic power, 64GB and new remote (w/iPod like circular gesture) is going in on April 30. What I’ve been waiting for.

AirTags order for at least 8 tags too. That’s a total equal to 3/5 an iPhone 12 Pro right there. With iMac, June quarter is gonna be fun, better than last year’s iPhone SE intro.

2. Bart Yee said:
    The new iMac just became the new home and maybe stylish corporate Zoom device, probably will be hugely requested by WFH users. Here comes the pitch.

The M1 iPad Pro!!

3. Bart Yee said:
    Everyone complains that Services won’t compensate for “slowing” iPhone sales. No one ever thought iPads, Macs, and Wearables & Accessories could do it either.

Well, Apple just expanded already growing non-iPhone revenue – AGAIN!!

5G M1 iPad Pro

April 20, 2021
    I’d like the iMac specs in a separate display to go with a new M1 MB Pro 15″/16″ 🙂 🙂 I find that 27″ is a sweet spot for monitors, 24″ feels too small to me (based on the 24″ monitors on my current Intel minis….)

• John Konopka said:
      “ The only reason for time is so that everything doesn’t happen at once.” Albert Einstein

I’d look for a larger iMac later in the year.

• Thomas Nash said:
      The larger 27″(29?) iMac was noticeable by its absence. Suspect screen or some other supply problem and it will get announced in June.

• Bart Yee said:
        Agree, as MiniLED production ramps up (via expanding LG partnership?), Apple likely has the roadmap for M1X based Mac Pro and XDR MiniLED supersized Displays to come.

Think those in Film and Animation production are just lusting now and finding ways to lobby for hardware upgrades?

• Romie Lucas said:
        Wondering about the 27” model too. I would hate to think they want this bigger than 21” screen version to replace both sizes.

April 20, 2021
    XDR – Extended Dynamic Range (the number of values between absolute black and absolute white) – that’s been a real issue for digital imaging since early digital cameras. If I remember the numbers right, the eye gets 10 stops, the best film gets 6 stops, and digital sensors are now doing about 7-8 stops. For a long time, the digital sensors were stuck at 4 stops.) This is most obvious when you’re looking at a scene with some parts in bright sunlight and other parts in deep shadow.

6. Bart Yee said:
    MiniLED XDR iPad Pro 12.9, Ho-boy, that’s gonna be a stunner and big seller. The June Quarter comps are gonna be blown to bits as the economy opens up and these hardware innovations hit worldwide. Of course, these will also lead to big gains in Services over the next quarter too.

7. Bart Yee said:
    Hey Gurman, “Can’t innovate my ass!!” If you’re bored, too bad, listen closely.

That’s the sound of Apple Users and converts opening their wallets and pulling out their credit cards or clicking Apple Pay on the Apple Store.

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Bart Yee —

(this comment made post watching the entire “Spring Loaded” event)

Using the classic Schiller “Can’t innovate, my ass.” quote paired with the “…boring…” Gurman statement beautifully illustrates the long-standing disconnect the general media has with comprehending Apple and where it’s headed for the future.

They. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

8. George Ewonus said:
    Thanks, Bart – one of my favorite quotes!

April 20, 2021
  9. I was kinda hoping Tim would offer all the new devices in a 2021 Bundle. Now I have to order each device, and 10 AirTags, individually. Everything is an iPhone now. Center Stage on iPad Pro looks sweet for making Podcasts without a crew. What an excellent time to leverage iPad popularity during the WFH years.

10. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    It popped into my head midway into the “Spring Loaded” viewing that I solidly believe Apple is the da Vinci of tech.

No better metaphor.

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      (Think I’ll be using that a lot in my anything-Apple discourse.)

😉

11. Ralph McDarmont said:
    I loved the presentation. And products. I can’t imagine the cost and technology of such a meticulous virtual production. Unfortunately the stock price languished. What does it take to impress Wall Street?

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Ralph McDarmont —

Patience will pay.

The proof is in the pudding.

• Bart Yee said:
      Buying the rumor, selling the news. I just advised a new stocks investor to make AAPL a core holding, say a 20% of portfolio $20K investment of ~150 shares.

12. Hugh Lovell said:
    Excellent presentation of an excellent set of products. BUT … I’m disappointed that free iCloud storage is STILL only at 5GB. Each time new devices are introduced, their storage goes up, but iCloud free remains the same. When I worked in the stores, iCloud storage issues were a common support issue especially as customers would often turn on iCloud sharing options without fully understanding storage issues. Would Apple’s Services really take such a hit if 50GB was the free tier and those above had charges?

• Bart Yee said:
      I was just checking iCloud storage tiers and there it us for US:
      United States (USD)
      50GB: $0.99
      200GB: $2.99
      2TB: $9.99

Wouldn’t surprise me if a sizable group moves to 2TB storage. We should also see AppleCare+ grow with major hardware sales as well.

• Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Hugh Lovell —

Like you, I’ve been thinking that Apple would eventually change this pricing scheme for storage, but after such a long time of it being pretty much the same, I’m begrudgingly convinced that this is a benevolent shoehorn play to obviously get you to jump off the cliff into the 200GB or 2TB level in becoming ”all in” Apple customer — as all of their products already softly whisper.

• Hugh Lovell said:
        I must reluctantly agree, Kirk.

April 20, 2021
    Wasn’t able to view the event but will later this evening. I read PED’s write-up above & subsequent comments.

These are fantastic products at the right time. My conviction is that the WFA/WFH model will carry forth for two more years, if not permanently. I notice Apple stock price is down. Am not sure definitively what will move the stock price higher where we desire for it to go even with a blowout quarter (Q2) other than Tim & Luca during the upcoming earnings call giving some form of clear & more specific guidance saying the future quarters never looked brighter.

14. Michael Goldfeder said:
    Great products, fantastic presentation, WFH and LFH being in place even after the pandemic wanes provides additional revenue streams that nobody on WS has factored into Apple moving forward. Did I forget to mention less float available to trade?