Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman is bored with Apple (video)

“Nothing you’re going to be seeing next week is going to be particularly innovative.”

My take: Time for a new beat?

UPDATE: By contrast, see Rene Ritchie’s Apple April 20 Event — It’s On! Ritchie has been covering Apple as least as long Gurman, but he can still put some spring in his voice for pre-event video.

1. I’ll admit I’ve subscribed to the New York Times for the better part of my life. There is no solid alternative for international and national coverage among US sources, IMHO. Opinion writers and columnists always seek to get readers riled up. I suspect some of PED’s reposts are also intended to incite wonderful reader engagement. NYT coverage of technology and business typically lags Bloomberg, in frequency and quality. Gurman’s piece excepted. Science & literature coverage at NYT is extremely helpful to me. The Economist is my go-to for detailed technology and world business. FT too.
    My additional sources for Apple news are SF Chronicle, Nikkei (owners of FT now), several Taiwan papers and the Hindustan Times. I read many sources (TIME, Wired, Popular Science, Economist) through my library memberships, saves on subscription fees.
    Some have hated the whole Apple ecosystem since Day 1. ´It is not like Windows.’ They carry iPhones today & their kids, iPads. Resistance is futile!

April 15, 2021
  2. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    …and people roundly yawned at the introduction of AirPods.

April 15, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      “They” also claimed each iteration of the Apple Watch, AirPods to AirPods Pro to (overpriced) AirPods Pro Max, Apple Pay functionality on iPhone / Watch, etc. etc. were just incremental and “un”-innovative additions. Same with HomePod to Homepod Mini and the discontinuing of OG HomePod.

What I believe most “tech” writers want is some kind of mini-adrenaline rush every 3-6 months from the various tech companies. They grow “bored” as Gurman says, with methodical improvements to existing products. I’m sure he’s well off his M1 high and jonesing for more from Apple. He probably loves Google and Samsung because they introduce “new” products with various features, only to eventually abandon them through short product lives, short support windows, poor sales figures, or all of the above, meaning they have to “keep innovating” to capture elusive eyes and clicks.

Apple just doesn’t work that way. Apple comes up with an idea, a roadmap, and introduces product WHEN it is ready, and iterates annually if successful. If not successful, they will kill or disrupt the product. When successful, they keep adding functionality, usability, familiarity, and most of all, value to users. Apple plays for the long game with its users, not short term, quarterly adrenaline rushes for tech writers. Besides, if a tech writer can’t write about incremental change (a la Intel CPU’s ad nauseum), he/she shouldn’t be in that job. IMO.

April 15, 2021
  3. Watch Apple preview something akin to the Alia-250 eVTOL by Beta Tech. In a ´just one more thing’ segment it would wow the world. There really is far less to run into up there in a cloud…

April 15, 2021
    Not boring for investors.

Like many others, Gurman’s predictable, boring view underestimates Apple’s incremental strategy.

Example: Introducing mini LED on the iPad Pro. It’s brilliant – pun intended.

Mini LED is relatively expense. Putting it in the iPad Pro together with a great new chip, allows for good margins, hence good ROI for the new technology. Later, costs decline and mini LED moves to higher volume products with less price elasticity.

April 15, 2021
    Ha!. This made me think of Apple as “screen” company. (Their audio tech is cool too.)

Think of all the screens from the Watch to Mac Pros as a 1.5 billion panel window into the Apple ecosystem. Through that window, users experience everything inside, from the 3 nm circuits to coolest Apps from 3rd parties.

April 15, 2021
  6. Paul Brindze said:
    I am bored with not breaking 135 .. though that should end soon.

April 15, 2021
  7. George Ewonus said:
    To Mark Gurham, and others of like mind, I give you Phil Schiller’s words at WWDC, 2013, “Can’t innovate anymore, my ass!”.

April 15, 2021
  8. Michael Goldfeder said:
    If Apple introduced a flying car next week Mark Gurman would say: “I’ve seen that before a long time ago on a cartoon called; “The Jetsons.” Apple can’t innovate!

April 15, 2021
  9. John Konopka said:
    This is like the car magazine writers who think we all should be driving Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

April 15, 2021