This week's Apple trading strategies (4/5-4/9)

A place for Apple traders and investors to share their best ideas.

To get things rolling, here are CNBC's Melissa Lee and her Fast Money team screwing up UBS's upgrade to Buy more ways than I would have thought possible.

Below: Apple vs. the S&P 500…

apple trading strategies 4-5

Disclosure: Although I am now an Apple shareholder (see Why I bought a share of Apple, my first), I am in no position to give financial advice. Don’t blame me if you drain your IRA doing something you read about here.

See also last week’s trading strategies.

Although AAPL seems to have begun trading in a channel, as I have done for about a month or more, I’m doing nothing this week, and doubt I’ll do anything before earnings.

April 4, 2021
  2. John Konopka said:
    They worked hard to find a reason to not buy AAPL. Lofty levels with a forward P/E of 27? Compared to much higher P/E for peers?

I kind of agree with one point they made which is that there is not any current story to drive Apple higher. There almost never is. Tim Cook is the opposite of Elon Musk. He is always calm, and rarely telegraphs future products. Whatever story that does circulate comes from outside Apple unless it involves current products which Apple is happy to promote.

BTW, WWDC is just two months away. I’m wondering if there will be product announcements before then. Apple rarely releases new products there. They do announce new technologies so that the developers have a chance to work on them. I wouldn’t be surprised to see some products dropping in May. Maybe there will be one press release a week in May leading up to WWDC to enhance the buzz.

We are expecting things like Air Tags, Mx iMac, Mx MacBook Pro, new iPad, iOS 14.5 with the new private options. These could consume four or five weeks which would be a nice intro to WWDC.

April 4, 2021
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      The calm before the storm?

April 4, 2021
      • Jonny T said:
        A storm of buying or selling?

April 5, 2021
  3. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    I’m a buyer in the current trading range. Apple internally generates funds to cover all its capex needs, continues to repurchase shares on a massive scale and can easily increase its dividend annually by 5% to 10% for the foreseeable future. On an annual basis, the company’s capital return (repurchases plus dividends) is currently in the 4% to 5% range. That’s before the benefit to shareholder value of organic net income growth.

April 4, 2021
      That’s the kind of capsule analysis that seems to be missing from most ANALyst statements on AAPL.

April 4, 2021