Apple 3.0 exclusive: Ask me anything with Jean-Louis Gassée (video)

The man who took the Macintosh division over from Steve Jobs takes all questions in this subscriber-only Zoom. To join, go to ped30.com and subscribe.

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY. To access, please login or subscribe

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Speaking of Mssr. Gassée talking about AI/ML,
    Whomever the person who was blacked out but the rest of his/her environment, including the coffee mug, was not – how was that done? Zoom plugin?
    That was a cool display of where we’re going with coding for even more & more smart tech.

March 28, 2021
    • David Drinkwater said:
      I believe that that was Sacto Joe, and I think it was more of a bug than a feature. I may be misreading you though,

March 28, 2021
  2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    My favorite line:
    “Remember 1968?”

March 28, 2021
  3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    To Kirk:
    “Long Live The HomePod!”

March 28, 2021
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      @ Romeo A Esparrago Jr —

Righteous, Brother Romeo.

After yesterday’s Zoom meeting, I happened to listen to a discussion about the HomePod on the “Accidental Tech Podcast” with Marco Armant (well-known app developer and audio enthusiast)

(scrub in to the 31:11 mark)

He too remains a strong fan of what Apple achieved with the HomePod yet, with its discontinuation, ultimately arrived at roughly the same conclusion as Gassée — Apple applied too much engineering into a product that the general public wasn’t willing to dig a bit deeper for.

This is a cold realization as I take the stance that people should uplift their audio appreciation capabilities as that is where the true soul of music lies. To me it’s the genuine underlying reason why the entire AirPods line is so captivatingly successful.

I wonder also if Apple had instead marketed it as total audio for the home WITHOUT the “smarts”, if it might have then appealed to a market that it was better suited to fit.

I’ve already purchased one more and I might get yet one more to attain stereo matching in every location of my home.

Amen Romeo…“Long Live The HomePod!”

March 28, 2021
        Until Apple supports album-focused operations, particularly playlist “album shuffle” on its iOS devices, I continue to call “bulls**t” on claims of how much Apple cares about serious music…

March 29, 2021
  4. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Again, thanks to PED and RPL for putting these “Ask Me Anything” events together.

An excellent enhancement to being a Apple 3.0 subscriber.

March 28, 2021
  5. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    We call the Ask-Me-Anything meetings special events. This meeting with Jean-Louis Gassée was really an extraordinary encounter. Thank you to the members of the Apple 3.0 community who joined us for the meeting. What Mr. Gassée shared in just one hour was inspiring, thought-provoking and very informative. For subscribers who didn’t attend the meeting, the video is worth the investment of an hour to view it.

March 28, 2021
  6. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    A reminder to my fellow subscribers: The Ask-Me-Anything events are a no-cost, value added benefit. We also have the Apple 3.0 Slack group available which provides for on-going conversations about all things Apple. Simply ask Philip for a no-cost invitation to join the group.

March 28, 2021
  7. Hap Allen said:
    Investors look to the future. So I was interested in Jean-Louis’ answer to the question about risks to Apple over the next ten or twenty years:

“Creeping mediocrity,” he replied.

Values–and how a culture expresses them–interest me. (Sadly, the term ‘DNA’ has become an overworked cliché.) So far, what Steve brought and what Tim sustains have enabled huge success.

As an AAPL long, I’ve come to think of it as an ‘heirloom stock.’ But I remain mindful how ‘greats’ have fallen in the past. (Cue Horace Dediu on disruption.)

Among others, I hope to look to investors here for a collective sense of the evolution of Apple’s culture. For what remains of my lifetime, there may be little risk in the stock. But for those who come after, who knows?

As Rachel Maddow might put it: “Watch this space.”

March 28, 2021
    • Hap Allen said:
      I should add that I find Nassim Taleb’s work on risk fascinating. (I’ve just begun a re-read of “Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder.”) Risk can’t be measured or predicted, Taleb says, but fragility/vulnerability to rare negative outcomes can be measured. A ‘Black Swan’ event may be highly improbable, but it can have huge consequences.

March 31, 2021