Get this guy an iPhone!

From Abigail Weinberg’s “How Does Chuck Schumer Keep Democrats Together? A Flip Phone.” posted last week on MoJo Wire:

After doing a bit of research, I’m fairly confident that this is a LG Wine. Which means that Chuck Schumer seems to use a discontinued flip phone that has a 3 star rating to do his business. One troublesome bit: The LG Wine might not have a functional caller ID, according to reviewer Kim1234. “You do not know who is calling until you open up the phone, at which point the call is then answered,” the user wrote. (Kim1234 did not recommend the product.)

Schumer’s office has not responded to a request for comment on the senator’s texting habits, or whether he owns any other phones.

Either way, I can’t shake the image of Schumer hunched over his alphanumeric keypad, trying to eke out a text message using T9 to ask for a vote, hoping not to go over his data limit.

My take: I had to laugh. In the mid-90s one of my daughters played in a Brooklyn softball league with Schumer’s daughter. He was still in the House at the time, but I remember he came to a lot of the games, bent over his flip phone the whole time.

1. Robert Varipapa said:
    I used to think almost everyone had an iPhone (or other smartphone 🙂 but quickly realized that was not the case when our office instituted telemedince due to Covid-19. I’d estimate at least 50% of our patients over 65 still use flip phones, with the ratio increasing exponentially with age.

PS: My Mom’s 98 and I’m proud to say I got her using an iPhone (she just got the 12), an iPad and recently an Apple Watch more for fall notification (and which she now uses to pay groceries!)

March 4, 2021
    • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
      Thank you, Robert.
      You are a great son, breadth of Apple products not widthstanding. :::triple thumbs up:::

March 4, 2021
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      Wonderful. Bless your dear mother.

March 5, 2021
  2. Ralph McDarmont said:
    My entire retirement plan is AAPL but I love my LG flip phone. I run a community swimming pool and if I jump in the water with my $15 flip phone I’m ok. My kids were embarrassed and bought me an iPhone but I leave it on my desk when walking the pool deck.

March 4, 2021
    • Robert Varipapa said:
      That might have been an issue with older iPhones – as you probably know, the new ones are relatively waterproof
      “iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max have a rating of IP68 under IEC standard 60529 (maximum depth of 6 meters up to 30 minutes).”

March 4, 2021
      • Ralph McDarmont said:
        I prefer not to test my iPhone’s water resistance. Fortunately I don’t randomly jump in the water very often.

March 4, 2021
        That’s the standard, but there have been many reports of IP68 iPhones surviving deeper waters for longer periods of time.

March 4, 2021
  3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Maybe Mr. Schumer will get an iPhone when there’s a folding one LOL.
    Get this guy a chiropractor, too, for his poor hunched back.

March 4, 2021
    • John Konopka said:
      That’s funny. You may have found the main use case for a folding iPhone. It can be sold to old people who are only comfortable with flip phones.

March 4, 2021
    REUTERS: Apple-supplier Foxconn flags strong start to year as lockdowns spur electronics demand

Apple supplier Foxconn said it expects first-quarter revenue to rise more than 15% from a year earlier, boosted by strong iPhone sales and robust demand for electronics during lockdowns worldwide to curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Read in Reuters: https://apple.news/AP-CMjHgUR_qG6SkjWr06XQ

Original article in Apple News.

March 4, 2021
  5. Michael Goldfeder said:
    Perhaps Schumer has a pager too?

March 4, 2021