Nine reasons to pay for Apple 3.0

Four new, five old.

• (NEW) Monthly Zoom calls with prominent Apple watchers. Guests so far: Loup Ventures’ Gene Munster, Wedbush’s Daniel Ives, Asymco’s Horace Dediu and Creative Strategies’ Ben Bajarin
  • (NEW) Comments now up front: The 10 most recent comments are excerpted at right, click “more” for the most recent 30.
  • (NEW) A lively subscriber-only Slack for back-channel chatter (subscribers write ped@ped30.com for an invite)
  • (NEW) Virtual meet and greets for subscribers
  • (OLD) Access to content behind the paywall, including excepts of analysts notes
  • (OLD) Original reporting and insights
  • (OLD) Posts delivered to your mailbox
  • (OLD) A seat at the table for the most civilized Apple conversation on the internet
  • (OLD) No ads, no trolls, real names.

Want to subscribe? Click here. Subs start at $20 per month, cheaper by the year.

About PED: That’s me in the photo above with the notepad and the flyaway hairline interviewing iPhone line-sitters, back when that was a thing. I’m not the youngest reporter on the Apple beat; I spent nearly three decades as a writer and editor at the old Time Magazine and another nine years writing a daily blog called Apple 2.0 for Business 2.0, CNNMoney and Fortune.com. A few links…

Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Wikipedia
Interview with Horace Dediu on The Critical Path
Time cover story: Welcome to Cyberspace
Searching for Marty Rimm
ReCode’s Peter Kafka: Goodbye Apple 2.0, Hello Apple 3.0
The Charlie Rose Show: Rio Earth Summit

1. Joe Murphy said:
    One more reason:- Responsive!

February 28, 2021
  2. Michael Goldfeder said:
    The “troll free zone” feature alone is well worth the subscription. All of the insight provided by the members makes this site BY FAR the most informative Apple site found anywhere outside of Cupertino’s HQ.

February 28, 2021
  3. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    For subscribers who have yet to join the Apple 3.0 Slack group, it’s a way to remain engaged with many of the active commenters on the blog. I appreciate access to the wisdom, knowledge and insights shared by my fellow 3.0 subscribers in the free-flowing, conversational style the platform provides. It’s a no-cost, “value added” option for Apple 3.0 subscribers. If lack of familiarity with Slack is causing you pause, just ask Philip for an invitation. From inside the Slack group I will help you get acquainted.

February 28, 2021
  4. Ralph McDarmont said:
    I can do better than nine. Thank you many times. Times nine. You are absolutely AAPL alert and don’t have an agenda. A+++ reporting.

February 28, 2021
    Even with the recent price hike to $20, I still think Apple 3.0 is under priced. Should be $25/month (or more). The value is there.

February 28, 2021
    • Ralph McDarmont said:
      The key to an adequately funded subscription service is not price, it is quantity. PED needs more subscribers, not a higher price. I promote his service whenever I can and hope a few people have signed up because of my enthusiasm. Fellow subscribers need to beat the bushes for PED.

February 28, 2021
    On the last Zoom call, we were 100% white male (I think), and nearly all were over 60. Not surprising give the topic – silicon.

While I have no good ideas of how to get more diversity, and more subscribers, maybe we can crowd source this topic. Ironically, we’ll likely have older white males trying to come up with solutions.

Just saying, ya know.