Apple steps up to help Texas as its junior senator steps out

From AppleInsider’s “Apple to support winter storm relief efforts in Texas, other US states” posted early Thursday:

apple texas tim cook ted cruzApple will make contributions to local community organizations in Texas and beyond as work continues to restore order amid a brutal winter storm.

CEO Tim Cook announced the planned donation in a post to Twitter on Thursday. He failed to offer specifics, though the company typically provides between $1 million to $2 million in disaster aid, depending on the severity of the event.

“Our hearts are with everyone across Texas and around the U.S., including many of our team members, as they endure the impact of the harsh winter storms,” Cook said in a tweet. “Apple will be making a financial contribution to local, community-based organizations to support their relief efforts.”

My take: Unlike what’s his name, Tim Cook cares. He also puts some of Apple’s free cash where his heart is. From AppleInsider:

In 2018 the company donated $1 million to victims of the Kerala floods in India, relief efforts following the Sulawesi earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia, and Red Cross activity after the California wild fires and Hurricane Florence. Contributions in 2019 included millions in aid for the California wild fires and Australian brush fires, while 2020 saw the tech giant donate to various coronavirus-related efforts, a project that involved the distribution of millions of masks to healthcare workers.

1. Uninformed columnists & bloggers continue to misrepresent Apple philanthropy. Schools have known otherwise, for decades. Sure, it was self-serving to put all those early Macs in some college computer labs and middle schools.
    Here it is straight from the orchard in Cupertino:

February 19, 2021
  2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Thanks for not abandoning us, Tim!
    Romeo @Round Rock

February 19, 2021
    • Bart Yee said:
      Hope you are surviving ok. My relatives in Houston were down 3-4 days without power and have continued to check for damaged plumbing due to freezing weather. They were lucky in that they only lost some food, from many stories in the Texas Tribune and Houston Chronicle, there are a lot of families and people hit very very hard, plus unfortunately many numbers of carbon monoxide poisoning due to using cars or stoves for heat sources without understanding the need for adequate ventilation. Without power, few ways for local officials to warn residents of those dangers. On top of that, many Texans who did not lose power apparently could face extraordinarily high electric bills due to the spike in costs of Natural Gas demand vs limited supply and the subsequent spikes in electric generation costs which will be passed to ratepayers. I suspect there is going to be considerable Texas resident fallout and feedback to their local and state representatives, plus the utilities. IMO, the problems of the electrical grid, the handling of this weather disaster, and how to solve it for future events is going to be on many residents’ minds for some time. Texas, IMO, deserves a lot better than this, and if they are going to continue to attract businesses like Apple, Samsung, Foxconn and others, that infrastructure has to work for them and their employees too.

February 19, 2021
  3. Rodney Avilla said:
    “He also puts some of Apple’s free cash where his heart is.”
    I think you have misquoted the verse. Now if he made a personal donation, then your statement would be accurate. And he may have, the article does not say. It’s always easy to spend someone else’s money.

“Unlike what’s his name, Tim Cook cares.”
    That’s a pretty superficial assessment. But then again, I guess that’s normal for political discourse.

February 19, 2021
    • Ralph McDarmont said:
      Well, at risk of being banned by PED, blow me. Cook is a admirably thoughtful person. I am sure he spends plenty of his wealth on good causes. And as a serious stockholder I invite Tim to toss in a little corporate cash. As for PED’s site, politics is not welcome here. Humanity is. ✌️

February 19, 2021
      • Rodney Avilla said:
        “.. at risk of being banned …”
        Hopefully not on my account. After all, your words are a reflection of you, not me.
        “Cook is a admirably thoughtful person.” I agree, 100% And yes, I am aware of his personal generosity.
        ” I invite Tim to toss in a little corporate cash.” IMHO, I disagree. There are a lot of pros & cons, a discussion for another day.
        ” politics is not welcome here…” Is this statement for me for PED? Perhaps both?

February 19, 2021
  4. Steven Noyes said:
    ” Unlike what’s his name, Tim Cook cares. ” Never miss a chance to make a mindless political dig.

I look for better blogging on this site. Disappointed.

February 19, 2021
    Already almost a week late, FedEX has changed the delivery date on my Air Pod Max to “Not Scheduled”

It has been sitting in Memphis since last Saturday.

February 19, 2021
    • FedEx staff have had trouble getting to work at their Memphis Hub. Their service is suspended pretty much statewide in TN, AK, LA, and MS. Tennessee drivers get very little experience driving in snow & ice conditions, unlike drivers in Idaho or New Jersey. The storm was a big rock tossed in the logistics pond, the ripples are spreading out. It will take a week or more to sort out with the 2021 shipping volumes and many airports just getting back online.

February 19, 2021
    • John Butt said:
      Mine is still with Apple since my order on 15th December.

Due next week, maybe