Ming-Chi Kuo: This is the platform on which Apple will build a car

From AppleInsider’s “Kuo: ‘Apple Car’ to use Hyundai’s E-GMP platform, GM and PSA partnerships possible” posted early Tuesday:

Announced in December, the E-GMP uses up to two motors, five-link rear suspension, an integrated drive axle, battery cells that can provide range over 500km on a full charge, and can be charged up to 80% within 18 minutes through high-speed charging. A high performance model based on E-GMP is capable of accelerating from 0-60 miles per hour in less than 3.5 seconds, with a top speed of 160 miles per hour. Hyundai plans to sell 1 million BEV units worldwide by 2025…

According to Kuo’s prediction, Hyundai Mobis will be in charge of design and production for some ‌Apple Car‌ components, and Hyundai Group affiliate Kia will provide the U.S. production line for Apple Cars, although Kuo predicts that Apple may struggle to launch the ‌Apple Car‌ in 2025 because of the more complicated development time and supply chain management involved.

My take:  This rumor is peaking too early.

2025, isn’t that pretty much what we felt when this rumor involving Hyundai first appeared?

If we could speculate thus, then I guess Kuo can too.

Nice platform. Wish I spoke Korean, then I could understand the discussion in the video about the platform. Looks good, an Apple exterior, interior and software, mounted on this wouldn’t be confused/identified as a Hyundai/Kia.

Somehow though, this doesn’t strike me as Apple’s ethos of controlling everything.

February 2, 2021
  2. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    Apple is choosing a production platform now for a car that will purportedly be put into mass production four years from now? I could see a current platform being used for testing and early prototypes, but not for future mass production. At this point, I’d much rather get my Apple Car “news” from Apple.

February 2, 2021
  3. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    I haven’t seen anything on the Apple news wire (yet) but apparently Business Insider Deutschland claims Porsche Chassis VP Manfred Harrer has been hired by Apple.

February 2, 2021
    It’s beginning to make sense.

Apple’s can leverage their device chips, sensors, software and integration. No other car maker can match what Apple can harvest from the device business.

Apple does not need to make the drive train, just as they don’t make screens, camera sensors, nor chips.

Apple can take far lower gross margin %, because their part of the BOM is small. Oddball math. But it works. Tesla’s GM is 20%.

February 2, 2021
    • Troy Thoman said:
      Is 20% their real gross margin? I read an article last night talking about how Tesla’s carbon credits they sell each quarter take them from a net loss to a profit, but without those they wouldn’t be profitable. So 20% GM seems suspect if you compare apples to apples (no pun intended) with ICE car manufacturers.

February 2, 2021
      • Jerry Doyle said:
        @Troy Thoman: Below is a link to an article from last November 15, 2020 stating that Tesla has improved its GM to 23.7%.

Also, Sandy Munroe is an automotive engineer who specializes in the tear-down of automotive products (cars) for the specific purpose of studying and suggesting improvements from performance to cost benefits. Mr. Munroe is very high on Tesla but also is critical constructively where the need arises. Elon Musk offers praise to Sandy Munroe for his candid assessment of Tesla cars from build to performance. I can’t recall the specific video, but there is one video where Sandy in his tear-down of Tesla mentions what he perceives is a GM of around 32%.

February 2, 2021
    Could this be the platform to be used in prototype testing and evaluation? That would make sense, let Apple concentrate on its expertise, and bring in stuff that is not core competency. (Kinda like concentrating on software before developing your own processor chip 🙂 )

February 2, 2021
    I believe deeply Apple is planning an Apple Car. Apple will bring one forth. I am skeptical that such a car will be rolled out initially for the masses. The article is explicit that Apple likely will market the car as a “very high-end” model, or “significantly higher” than a standard EV.

Others may question whether the above is true, but there is so much smoke emanating that one hardly can breathe. Where there is smoke, there must be fire.

Apple will have high margins on its iCar. It will be a prestige offering. It will be a seamless trade-off with all other Apple hardware, software & service integration.

What folk fail to see is the potential for new industrial revenues to come from an Apple car. If Apple desires continued growth it must seek new revenue streams built on existing platforms of hardware, software and services. I purchase my new iCar through Apple Pay with Apple’s extremely low financing. I then decide if I want Apple Care Protection for my new purchase. Concomitantly, I choose Apple car insurance with its very competitive insurance pricing that isn’t bumped up in premiums every six months, but is retained at a competitive level throughout ownership of the car because we all know the iCar will be an extremely safe vehicle to own and drive.

Continue….

February 2, 2021
    Continued….

The iCar will be a cocoon of Apple provided services integrated seamlessly with all other Apple hardware, software and services. Using the Apple car will be as sublime as walking in one of the Zen gardens of Kyoto that Steve Jobs loved.

I do not accept that Apple will produce a car on wheels that is public transit for the masses. I do not see a van where people sit opposite one another so as to face and engage. Folk don’t engage. They’re too busy with their heads down in their devices. How many people engage on shuttle buses or any form of mass transit. This is a vast country, the USA. The downtown Manhattan(s) are few. The vast cities of this nation have drivers who enjoy the connection with their vehicles. Many have a love affair with their cars. And some of the most tranquil solitude is being alone in your car, using it for that weekend get away or deciding to drive to your destination and see the countryside along the way. Apple is going to deliver us a car for the most glorious method of transportation. Apple is not going to provide a car for us as public transit.

February 2, 2021