Goldman Sachs ‘corrects’ yesterday’s Apple price target change

A penny for analyst Rod Hall’s thoughts today.

From a note to clients that landed on my desktop Friday morning:

CORRECTION: We are correcting our 12-month price target to $80 (incorrectly published on January 14 as $85), which remains based on 22.5x our Q5-Q8 EPS forecast of $3.55. There is no change to our view or rating.

Maintains Sell rating. Lowers published target from $85 to $80.

My take: What a shit show.

See also: Goldman Sach raises Apple target $10 to Street-low $85

This is “breathtaking!” It’s beyond comical. It’s an embarrassment to GS.

January 15, 2021
    Anyone else in favor of just ignoring Hall, and “voting him off the island” and the quarterly earnings spreadsheet?

January 15, 2021
      Here’s my proposal: The quarterly spreadsheet lists those who have been ‘thrown off the island” with a footnote something like:

“The following individuals are not included, due to a history of statistically non-credible estimates. Rob Hall/Goldman Sachs”

• Jerry Doyle said:
      @David Emery & PED: I vote YES! Why waste your time PED and ours’ with this sleepwalker.

3. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    One wonders, with Rod Hall’s “lone-wolf” style of analyzing AAPL, if it’s not a straw-grab at being considered the brilliant “lone-wolf” if he somehow happens to be right somewhere in the future.

January 15, 2021
      Ah, the “stopped clock is right twice daily” model of stock analysis….

4. Greg Lippert said:
    PED I like your take. Spot on.

5. Dan Scropos said:
    He’s over $1 off on his earnings estimate of $3.55. I’m quite sure that Apple will earn $4.55 or higher. I’m at $1.56 for the next earnings announcement. If I’m right about FY 2021 he’s an unconscionable $4 off pre-split. This guy should be working the ring toss at a traveling carnival.

6. Neil Shapiro said:
    “A penny for analyst Rod Hall’s thoughts today.” Wow! Did YOU overpay!!!!!

January 15, 2021
    Cramer made a comment today about “that guy over at Goldman Sachs”. I’ll let you decide if it was disparaging.

8. Robert Paul Leitao said:
    I wouldn’t get all worked up over Mr. Hall’s price target or estimates. It’s one analyst’s view. Reading other coverage of the note – from my perspective – he suggests the eventual reopening of the economy will be a negative for the share price as consumers migrate their spending to outside the home including a return to vacation activity, etc. He also doesn’t see an iPhone super cycle based on the way he views the data. In my view, his work is useful as a counterpoint for research and analysis. Take it for what it is and move on…

• Mark Visnic said:
      Robert,

His analysis is very limited (which is why it proves to be wrong chronically) but, I do agree it is worth the awareness of knowing. It’s the same with CNBC. I want to know when there is a negative price influence so I can assess and exploit. Without flawed views such as Hall’s the average price would be higher between earnings events. A lower average price between earnings events, yields greater upside over time on earnings events for Apple and for shareholders who take advantage of it.

9. Michael Goldfeder said:
    The earth is flat, bumblebees can’t fly, and Rod Hall stands by his $75.00 PT. All is good at Goldman Sachs.