Loup TV: Gene Munster thinks an Apple car is more than four years away

“We have a juicy holiday gift that just showed up: A Reuters report about Apple having a branded car available by 2024.”

This video for Loup Ventures subscribers landed on my desktop Wednesday:

My take: I’m interested in how the project evolved through a series of leadership changes.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    For me, the AI/software development seems obvious & more evident in how Apple’s structuring its leadership.

I’d like to know what Apple’s approach will be for the hardware if a Car (will it be called UniCARn LOL) is truly in the works.

Partnered with known Brand with EV or known Brand without EV?

Partnered with a Car startup (EV or not, startup Branded or Apple Branded)?

Apple’s own ground up hardware (evidence for this I haven’t read about but maybe someone has read something I missed…) ?

December 23, 2020
  2. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    And could Sir Jony Ives be consulted with for the exterior design?
    🙂

December 23, 2020
  3. Joe Murphy said:
    Pure speculation naturally.

When Ives left Apple to partner with his friend Marc Newson,
    1. Ives had previously said he and Newson had imagined how they would love to make a car company.
    2. Their first contract was to work with Apple on unnamed projects.
    3. I haven’t heard about any other contracts Ives and Newson’s company signed.

These 3 points may mean nothing, but it’s interesting to think about.

December 23, 2020
    • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
      Nice! Thanks, Joe!
      Sweet dreams are made of these!

December 23, 2020
  4. Joe Murphy said:
    I totally agree Romeo, we’re on same or similar page.

Apple’s a sweet dream getting sweeter!

December 23, 2020
  5. Steven Noyes said:
    I don’t put faith that Apple is pursuing an Apple car design for production though I could see them having a small team to fully understand the tech inside it. For example, vision systems, AI, AI Learning, Neural Net tuning, UI design, charging tech, high power battery tech.

The car, as a test bed with a fusion of tech Apple works on, is wonderful for raw R&D. Personally, however, I don’t see what they can bring to the market unless they have some amazing battery tech (Think QS or something else) actually close to market.

December 23, 2020
  6. Bart Yee said:
    Well, the Newsom car design (Ford 021C) of 1999 looked like something a FIAT of the early 70’s or a 50’s Chrysler / Studebaker concept car. Debuted at the Japan Auto show, it fit in w/the quirky, sometimes oddball designs the Japanese are (in)famous for – Nissan Cube, Leaf, Toyota Scion B (breadvan), etc. It certainly could appeal to very young new buyers but that demo has very little buying power unless the vehicle is priced quite low, for a first product unlikely.

IMO, minimalist approaches to car designs only work when you have an eye for not what is catchy but what is also practical & efficient while in operation. This design’s aerodynamics would have to be addressed if not used simply as an urban scooter with short to medium (200 miles) range at under 60mph. I’m sure that in the intervening 20 years Newsom and Ive would have newer ideas. Frankly, while the styling is not for everyone, Porsche models for me still embody form and function and have shown staying power for sports cars, SUV’s and sedans/coupes with decided performance underpinnings.

Apple could do a lot worse than commissioning Porsche to do a design study on a small to mediums size electric sedan while having Porsche design the suspension systems for superior handling. Porsche also has expertise in hybrid & EV powertrains so there’s that too. I’ll bet Porsche already has that in their studio but won’t compete with owner VW & Audi.

December 23, 2020
    • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
      Thanks for that very informative post, Bart. I didn’t know about Marc Newson’s Ford 021c. Looking at images of it, that design could certainly look like one of many possibilities that aligns with Apple’s aesthetics.

December 23, 2020
    Apple’s chip and AI software from high volume consumer electronics gives them big cost/performance advantages on Autonomous. With battery breakthroughs, their cost/performance advantage expands.

More:

Transportation as a Service. An autonomous EV can provide transportation on demand. This eliminates the costs of buying an A-EV, and the home garage and charging station costs, and the cost of very expensive urban parking when away from home.

December 24, 2020