In nine years, Apple has returned $497 billion to shareholders

At this rate, it would take Apple another eight years to empty its pockets

From Apple Investors: (click to enlarge)

My take: This spreadsheet came up in a discussion of buybacks vs. dividends in “Jim Cramer: Apple will be the ‘best beneficiary’ of a weaker dollar.” Posting it here for everybody’s benefit.

See also:

1. Alan Blair said:
    Philip, should your headline not read 497 billion?

December 5, 2020
  2. Adam Foster said:
    FYI: Final official four old fart brothers HomePod tally:
    24 HomePods
    6 HomePod Mini’s
    We’re 65 to 71 years old
    Obvious conclusion:
    Apple is doomed!

December 5, 2020
    • Dan Scropos said:
      Is there enough power to *only* use HomePod Minis? What’s the ideal makeup in your opinion. We’ve yet to purchase either iteration of HomePod and are relying on the experiences of this blog to purchase the right mix.

I know homes vary is size. We’re looking for a 2 bedroom, kitchen and living room setup. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

December 5, 2020
      • Adam Foster said:
        Dan, we all love our HomePods, obviously.
        I recommend you start with one or two mini’s – I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
        I use pairs for stereo and for my Apple TV’s
        Most importantly, they are Apple products and thus YOU are NOT being harvested as with Google and Amazon.
        Cheers

December 5, 2020
        • Dan Scropos said:
          Thank you for the feedback, Adam!

December 5, 2020
        A “lesson learned” on HomePods, at least the Mini. If you want to reconfigure the network configuration, you have to go to Home.app, go to “Rest HomePod” and then select “Remove Accessory.” That’s a very un-obvious way to get the HomePod to its factory default state.

December 5, 2020
        • Adam Foster said:
          Is that “Restore HomePod”?

December 5, 2020
            I don’t think so, I don’t see “Restore HomePod” when I open Home.app. But what I think that does is put the HomePod with its existing settings back onto the Home.app display.

December 5, 2020
  3. Kenny Kruger said:
    500 was my “Ballpark” figure last week LOL. Im wondering what the PE would be today had they just kept the cash all this time. Probably would have had many more lawsuits as the cash would be an even bigger target for the trolls.

December 5, 2020
    • David Drinkwater said:
      I think “cash” suppresses share price because if you want cash, you can just choose not to buy stock. If you buy (AAPL) stock, you have put your own cash in other peoples‘ s hands. If they do great things with it, then great, but it becomes out of your control.

December 6, 2020
  4. Gary Morton said:
    Missed this article earlier. I have been a big fan of the Apple share repurchases until last quarter. My feeling is that at current market and AAPL valuations, I would rather that a portion of the repurchase cash go to a much increased dividend, and the remainder to wait for a better opportunity. Perhaps some additional acquisitions, or for a time when the Apple share valuation again becomes unreasonably low as with the “greatly undervalued” levels it was at from 2009-2019. Certainly they need to keep repurchasing to negate any dilution from share based compensation; however, billions in repurchases at a well above market multiple does not seem like the best use of cash.

December 10, 2020
  5. bas flik said:
    this is not really a buy recommendation
    why should i buy and apple not?
    or i have to sell because valuation is to high.

December 10, 2020