CNBC takes Apple's side in Apple v. Facebook (video)

From "Apple hits Facebook over ad-targeting practices," which aired Friday:

Apple iOS users will have the choice of whether apps can track them for ad purchases and will limit the sale of information from those apps to data brokers. CNBC's Josh Lipton reports on how Apple's decision is fueling the privacy war with Facebook.

My take: Who's going to come out and defend advertisers and data brokers?

1. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Ahhh…Apple shines a light on the soft underbelly of the major (by far) profit engine of Facebook; bespoke advertising to the world’s eyeballs by all means and at any cost in return for revenue.

I always thought it a hollow altruistic farce that Mark Zuckerburg wants to “unite the world” with his social media Frankenstein of a creation.

Brilliant man. Bad execution.

November 23, 2020
      Hmmm… Broadcast media is relatively unique these days in that it does not directly depend on click advertising (unlike print media!)

November 23, 2020
  2. Thomas Larkin said:
    This as a battle for consumers right to decide whether they will be subjected targeted advertising, and, mining of their data both for that purpose and for resale to others. I’m with Apple all the way on this one.

November 23, 2020
  3. Ralph McDarmont said:
    I imagine we have all been hit with targeted advertising. Last week I was dumb enough to click on a Facebook ad for the ultimate dog harness. Since then I have been bombarded a hundred times on Facebook from intruders who coincidentally sell dog harnesses. Several different vendors as far as I can tell, since price and shipping location varies. The dog harness resellers know the game lol. (I went to my local PetSmart instead.)

November 23, 2020
    Wow. Thanks for the link, Joseph.

November 23, 2020
    Some people, not all but a lot, at CNBC use any excuse to attack Apple. Earlier today a CNBC web article labeled Apple’s suspension of App Store fees for online classes to June 30 as a “concession” to anti-trust complaints against Apple.

The article went on to paint a negative bias against App Store fees.

This smells like a negative freezing frenzy among people that previously had no opinion on the matter, but are caught up in the many unproven stories about the subject.

November 23, 2020
  6. Gary Morton said:
    I personally agree with Tim Cook’s assessment that for Facebook, the users are the product. Facebook’s fundamental business model is to engage the users so they can sell the user’s eyeballs to advertisers. Apple sells hardware, software, and services. They have a small advertising component, but it is much less intrusive than Facebook. I have reached the point in my life where paying to save time and not have ads is a blessing. I always buy the ad free streaming services. I am quite annoyed spending 15-20 minutes per week unsubscribing from websites and newsletters that I never wanted in the first place. Some say that time is our most precious commodity, and I certainly don’t want to spend time reading or watching ads.

November 23, 2020
  7. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    “This is what people don’t understand about the “fake news” problem. This isn’t a crack in the system. It is the system. The new age of targeted information distribution is designed to make campaigns of manipulation not just possible but inevitable. It is what the product was designed for.”

— and —

“45 percent of Americans get their news from a single source – Facebook. Add Google, and above 70 percent of Americans get their news from a pair of outlets.”

So most eat it all up unabashedly.

“We have met the enemy, and he is us.” —
    Pogo comic strip.

November 23, 2020
      “45% of Americans get their news from Facebook”

What percentage of Americans are active Facebook users? And is that “45% of Americans” or just “45% of Americans who are active Facebook users” I suspect there’s a significant difference in those two.

November 24, 2020