Oops. Apple is returning my Watch, not my iPhone

No explanation offered or received.

apple iphone return rejected

My take: Bad user experience. That was a fully functioning iPhone 11 Pro, and I was counting on the $450 Apple offered to defray the cost of my iPhone 12 Pro. Apple’s quality control system is clearly automated. The least it could do is tell a loser why.

CORRECTION: Yay! Turns out Apple accepted my iPhone and is crediting me the $450. The inscrutable message above was referring the Apple Watch (Series 5 Aluminum 44MM Cellular) that I traded in mid-September for a Series 6 and a promised $190 refund. My bad for not looking more carefully at the serial number. Apple’s bad for not bothering to specify which device was on its way back to me (never mind why it was rejected). I had no complaints about the Series 5 except the battery, which after less than a year on my wrist needed to be charged twice a day.

1. John Manning said:
    Ouch. They reduced the trade-in value of my iMac, but at least I got something.

November 7, 2020
    This happens with high regularity among the reseller companies, only you have to pay the return postage. That’s why I sell my Apple gear through Craigslist.

November 7, 2020
    Apple asks 4 questions at the time of purchase relative to the trade-in is in good condition to meet Apple’s stipulation for acceptance as agreed on trade-in price. Those questions are:

All the buttons work
    The cameras work
    The body is free of dents and scratches
    The touchscreen and back glass are undamaged.

I agree with you that Apple should explain what they found unacceptable. It has to be relative to one of its four conditions for acceptance as agreed on trade-in price. Think back on the above four conditions. Let us know which one(s) you possibly think it could be. There could have been something about the camera of which you were not aware. You should know if all the buttons work. And, you sure know if the body is free of dents, scratches and that the touchscreen and back glass are damaged. Something is amiss. I would take it to an Apple store and have them examine the phone. Robots sometime go awry. Just ask Elon Musk.

November 7, 2020
  4. Bart Yee said:
    @PED Sorry to hear this. Agree with re-inspecting your iPhone to see if something happened to it. I know my XS has a stellate crack in the camera array glass, not affecting operation or photos but was only noticeable by very close visual inspection under certain angle of light.

The positive thing is your iPhone 11 Pro still has similar or even better value on the private sale market but of course that is more bother and potential hassle plus the in person risks. However, you could also check with family or friends who may be in the market, or even here where we or our family may be interested in such a unit. Maybe send out an email FOB blast with particulars and we could help out.

Sure would be good for a backup media consumption device.

November 8, 2020
  5. Romie Lucas said:
    I traded in my 6S two years ago for a 10R. My phone was pristine and I was told I would receive full credit. A few days later I received word that 2/3rds of my trade in would be in the form of an Apple store gift card. That’s the kind of garbage I expect from other companies—not Apple.

November 8, 2020
  6. Jonny Tilney said:
    It may have been exposed to water without you ever having known…

November 8, 2020
    • Exposed? Hell, I swam with that watch nearly every day last summer, but never deeper than a yard or two. It’s supposed to be good to 50 meters.

November 8, 2020
      • Bart Yee said:
        Possible that not all the water was expelled after each swim? As always stated, it’s water resistant rather than water proof.

Back in topic, I’m glad you did get your iPhone 11 Pro trade in credit. I’m dismayed that Apple’s communications about your Watch trade in were so cryptic and lacking specific consumer model and line detail. However, in their defense, It’s my understanding each unit has a model number denoting the product line and Country or region specifics. Individual SN’s internally identify model and build information like color, finish, RAM installed, and any other specific model attributes like cellular vs GPS only. With Apple’s ever expanding number of SKUs, especially along similar looking product lines, it’s one way (not saying it’s the best way) to track info for warranty, trade in, and general ID purposes.

Apple could have done better and I’d call them out in it via chat, @AppleSupport or Diedre O’Brien.

November 8, 2020
  7. Bart Yee said:
    I wonder if this Watch 5’s battery issue was the rejection cause? Heavy battery discharging with a Cellular+GPS Watch could be the result of poor network coverage and the Watch persistently pinging the cell network. Other settings could also allow the Watch to constantly refresh cellular data uses. Or the battery was prematurely degraded.

Watch battery replacement is $79 plus shipping directly from Apple unless the Watch is still covered under AppleCare.

November 8, 2020