One more thing: Apple’s Silicon Mac expected to take a bow next Tuesday

Apple’s big fall product line-up is about to get even bigger. Mr. Market doesn’t seem to care.

From MacRumors’ “Apple Announces November 10 Event, Apple Silicon Macs Expected to Debut” posted midday Monday.

Apple today announced a third fall 2020 event, which is set to be held on Tuesday, November 10 at 10:00 a.m. on the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California. As with the September and October events that saw the debut of new Apple Watches, iPhones, and other products, the November event will be digital only, with Apple likely providing pre-taped segments for each new product that will be announced.

Apple has already announced a new fourth-generation iPad Air, eighth-generation iPad, Apple Watch Series 6, and iPhone 12 lineup, the November event is expected to be a Mac-centric event with Apple introducing the first Apple Silicon Mac. We’ve got a quick overview of what to expect below.

Apple has promised the first ‌Apple Silicon‌ Mac with an Arm-based chip is coming before the end of 2020, and it looks like the November event will be all about ‌Apple Silicon‌ Macs.

Apple first announced its work on ‌Apple Silicon‌ chips back in June, and we’ve heard little since then. ‌Apple Silicon‌ chips are similar to the A-series chips used in Apple’s iPhones and iPads, with the chips designed in-house by Apple and manufactured by TSMC.

‌Apple Silicon‌ chips will bring improved performance and more efficient Macs that have a deeper integration between hardware and software, allowing for things like universal apps that run on all Apple devices.

My take: MacRumors suggests we might also see some over-the-ear headphones and long-rumored AirTags. Me, I’m inclined to take the tag line — ONE More Thing — literally.

1. Michael Goldfeder said:
    More great product launches heading into the holiday quarter. The first quarter earnings announcement that will be released toward the end of January, 2021 will be Epic!

Oh wait! We have to quit using that word!

I’m going with Extraordinary!!

November 2, 2020
    LOL Epic is toast. I’ll take mine with cream cheese.

November 2, 2020
    • John Konopka said:
      LOL, aka League of Legends.

I thought it was really funny that Apple featured League of Legends at the last presentation. Epic is toast.

November 2, 2020
      • Bart Yee said:
        Epic is burnt toast. But I’m sure Sweeney will have yet another round of investment capital funding to further support/dilute his/their company during this time of self-induced iOS revenue shortfall.

How long will Sweeney be able to lead if he loses his Apple lawsuit?

November 2, 2020
    Really looking forward to ARM Macs. I’m very interesting in seeing how Apple handles the Intel tax savings.

November 2, 2020
    • John Konopka said:
      Yes, this will be a fascinating release. I may get a couple for my kids who have rather old Mac Books.

Personally, I’m hoping for an updated iPad Pro 12.9 with the A14 chip. Maybe next spring.

November 2, 2020
    Ah, would love to see Aymco or Above Avalon estimate the size and average age of Macs in the installed base. And compare to annual mac sales over the last five years.

November 2, 2020
      I know A LOT of people with older Macs. Here I have 2 ’15 MB Pros (the last model with the SD slot) and 3 Minis that are even older. For the Minis, there’s been no compelling reason to upgrade, they all work fine. And 2 of them run OS X Server back when that was a useful product for small/home offices.

For the MB Pros, the newer models dropped stuff that I used, like the SD slot and USB A ports. And I have a substantial investment in older drives (Firewire or Thunderbolt 2), and no desire to dump those for USB-C/Thunderbolt 3/4. And I have one of the Apple 27″ monitors that works great with the older MB Pros.

Finally, I still use some 32 bit software that either is not available or I won’t buy in newer versions (Aperture in the first category, MS Office in the latter category.)

So frankly, it’ll take a fair amount of incentive to get me to start upgrading Macs that are working just fine for now.

November 2, 2020
  5. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Those Apple Silicon chips in those Macs gonna be like tortilla chips dropped at your table with a bowl of spicy salsa.

You can’t just have one.

November 2, 2020