Zuck disses Apple glasses at Oculus event

Facebook’s CEO, doubling down on virtual reality, mocks Apple’s pursuit of augmented reality devices.

From “Mark Zuckerberg on why he doesn’t want to ‘put an Apple Watch on your face,'” a Q&A posted Wednesday on The Verge:

Casey Newton:  And what about AR glasses?

Zuckerberg: AR is just going to be a lot harder. I really don’t think that AR is going to be good until you get normal-looking glasses that can project holograms into the world. And now, glasses range from thin to pretty thick frames. I don’t think we’re anywhere near getting all the electronics that you would need to get into a thin frame. But the hope would be that you can get it into more normal-looking glasses in the first part of this decade or the first half of this decade.

And that will be challenging, and people will take different approaches to getting that to work. The biggest shortcut that a lot of folks are trying to take is basically trying to not do full holograms in the world, and just show some heads-up information. I call that “putting an Apple Watch on your face.”

I don’t personally find that particularly compelling. It’s not a product that we’re particularly excited about making. Maybe someone else will make it. It doesn’t fit the kind of social use cases that we primarily care about.

My take: The social use cases of flat-screen Facebook aren’t dangerous enough?

See also Apple 3.0’s augmented reality archives.

1. Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
    Mr. Z :
    “ I don’t think we’re anywhere near getting all the electronics that you would need to get into a thin frame. “

How would he know this anyway? Just save this article’s quotes for future reference to join previous disses that have been proven wrong.

September 17, 2020
  2. Ralph McDarmont said:
    My anonymous sources say Apple is working on an implanted brain chip that runs on blood carbon dioxide. No glasses, no battery, and it consumes greenhouse gases. Amazon and Facebook better step up their game.

September 17, 2020
    Something about “you could tell because his lips were moving”…..

September 17, 2020
  4. Bart Yee said:
    So Zuck continues to push gaming headsets. Clunky, relatively heavy, front of face devices with miners headlamp headgear. Tethered to a gaming PC, played inside or indoors and in your mind’s eye. Nerdy city looks, even stranger when you watch someone play gesticulating in the air. Great, fine, maybe tens or a couple hundreds of millions of gamers market. Last I saw, PS4, over 11 yrs, sold 110M, XBox about 50-60M, Nintendo Switch about 35M.

Apple’s AR vision (no pun intended although implied) is to push useful informative, helpful info, graphics, directions, delight for Apple users In the real world, you know, where we all work and play. Exploring our real physical world with just a bit of an assist, answering the questions maybe almost as fast as we articulate them. And if We know Apple, tastefully, thoughtfully, and unobtrusively. Like, looking fairly normal?

September 17, 2020

Razor – Razorblades.

I don’t think you can measure the success of these products by the number of players outstanding, but rather, the number games each player buys.

I do see an Apple box coming, using its proprietary silicon and the Apple TV+ to interface with the users television. I just don’t know when.

September 17, 2020
  5. Bart Yee said:
    Zuck is right about one thing, he can’t see this happening for 3-5 years because he can’t see FB/Oculus designing and building it because he can’t see the microelectronics needed in the physical limitations of a thin frame.

Guess who might have the requisite expertise and experience in making microelectronics work? Facing ever thinner, lighter, lower power, higher computing, advanced display tech, ultrawideband wireless connection, battery technology, etc.

Watch (and even AirPods Pro) has shown proof of concept. Now it’s the display and packaging for constant visual field use that is the challenge. Stay tuned.

September 17, 2020
  6. Lalit Jagtap said:
    I guess, it has become the trend in USA to “speculate and live in alternate reality”.

I hope Zack reads the blog post by Halide team about Lidar in this years iPad Pro.

“AR experiences are way more seemless and accurate. You no longer having to ‘calibrate’ the device by waving it around in space. It can detect and classify features in your room like windows. It can even measure how tall people are. So what is this LIDAR wizardry?” More at https://blog.halide.cam/lidar-peek-into-the-future-with-ipad-pro-11d38910e9f8

September 17, 2020
    1) Zuck makes himself look insecure by criticizing Apple.
    2) Regardless of AR vs. VR, Apple, will have the best chip to deliver the best user experience.
    3) Apple typically arrives late and gets it right.

September 17, 2020
  8. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    I’ve always held that this guy is some kind of dysfunctional alien leading what’s essentially an advertising company who, while connecting billions of humans together, has very little — if any — tact on really comprehending their essence.

September 17, 2020
  9. Dan Scropos said:
    Zuckerberg’s comments are incredibly encouraging. They only showcase how much of a lead Apple has. He can’t even conceive what Apple probably already has a firm vision of.

September 17, 2020
    • Robert Stack said:
      Even if he stumbles across it, it doesn’t mean he has the wherewithal to process its content.

I agree with Fred on this one: “Zuck makes himself look insecure by criticizing Apple.” To which I’d add, not just insecure but immature. Maybe some day he’ll grow up, not unlike the CEO of Epic. Though I won’t be holding my breath waiting for either to happen….

September 17, 2020