Trending on Twitter last week: 'Buy Apple stock'

"You meet your 15 year old self. You are allowed to say three words. What do you say?"

By Sunday, Kasie Hunt's reply had drawn 4,000 likes.

My take: When I was 15, Steve Jobs was 10.

PED, you would have been a very prescient 15-year-old 🙂

I’d have to choose between “Eat Dessert First” and “Travel More Often”

July 5, 2020
  2. Steven Philips said:
    I was 15 in 1960.
    I lived in what was billed as “ The Apple Capital of the World”.
    (NOT Cupertino! 🙂 )
    If someone had said that to me then I probably would have grown up to be an orchardist!
    However, if I’d said it to me when I was 30! – has it really been that long?

July 5, 2020
    It’s July 1 1986, Microsoft has been on the market for a couple of months. Apple started trading on Dec 12, 1980. where should you invest your $1000, oh 15-year-old? 🙂

July 5, 2020
    • Romeo A Esparrago Jr said:
      Thanks for the 1980 reference, David E. I was 16 but ignorant & no money. Sigh. A hot tub time machine still would’ve helped. L 🙂 L

July 5, 2020
    • Greg Bates said:
      David–interesting question whose answer, you should invest in Apple OR you should invest in Microsoft in 1986, isn’t immediately clear. If you had bought either and held until today, you would own stock in a company now worth @$1.5T. The market caps of the two are roughly equal. Which one was the better bet would have depended on how big a percentage of the company one could have purchased for the $1,000 at the time.

Strikingly, for all the competition and animosity between them over the years, other than that fact it wouldn’t have mattered… Differences in their prices at the time of investment would have mattered but the difference EVERYONE focused one–will the Apple David beat the Microsoft Goliath–was ultimately irrelevant from an investor’s perspective…

I’m not sure I trust the Yahoo chart going back that far. But from July 1 1986 to July 2 2020, it says Apple has risen 56,736 percent while Microsoft… has risen 191,619 percent, suggesting MSFT wins–by a lot…

My reasoning may have flaws, but the chart is not what I expected.

Hey Philip: Time to start a blog on… Microsoft?

July 6, 2020
  4. Jonny Tilney said:
    Yes of course we would have bought Apple stock. But, we probably would have sold it circa 1994 because we were in danger of seeing it going up in smoke! Would we have reboughz on the return of Steve? Or the launch of the iPod and the iTunes Music Store? I switched to Apple products in 1999 and it took me until 2006 to see the light.

July 5, 2020
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood,

or to buy Apple stock.

July 5, 2020
    “You meet your 15 year old self. You are allowed to say three words. What do you say? Buy Apple stock.” (Kasie Hunt)

Many of you heard me tell this anecdote. In 1997 when Gil Amelio led Apple to buy NeXT leading to Steve Jobs coming back to Apple in an advisement role (later as CEO in 2000) I bought Apple for myself. On a whim I also bought $3,500 of shares for my daughter. Her shares as I write are worth $3,231,988.83. No shares ever sold and all dividends reinvested in Apple. Not bad for a $3,500 investment.

Kasie Hunt would appreciate what follows. Recently I suggested to my daughter for me to turn her shares over to her. My daughter’s response, “… No Dad, you hold them because they aren’t fully ripened.”

July 5, 2020
  7. Mordechai Beizer said:
    Oh the pain.

This prompted me to look back at my trading history and it turns out I bought $80,000 of Apple in Jan 1997 which would have become 140,000 shares today. Unfortunately, I sold them in Aug 1997 for a $35,000 gain. I had forgotten all about this brief period of Apple ownership.

I didn’t step back into the stock until Sep 2006. Happily, I still have those shares plus more that I’ve added over the years. But still, 140,000 shares of Apple. Ouch.

July 5, 2020
    • Bart Yee said:
      Ooof, by this morning’s open of roughly $368, that would be….
      $51.5 million. I think we’ve all had at least one bad dream like that.

July 6, 2020
  8. Thomas Nash said:
    Bought 1986, age 43. Sold only half in mid 90s… having followed several computer stocks (SGI, …) way up and down to nothing. When I bought INTC in 1979, my father said, “No one in this family ever bought an over the counter stock before…”

July 6, 2020
  9. Bart Yee said:
    At age 15, that would have been 1970 for me. So the future was still almost 10 years away. My father was reading up on how to buy stocks but I had no clue about financial things till med school in 1982 through beginning residency in 1985. Back then when I graduated in 1987 and began working, I was talked into buying a variable life insurance policy for $10,000. Today it’s worth $120K by being invested in a large cap fund and would pay proceeds of about $150K but it has provided steady income (cost of insurance) for the insurance company and the fund managers who are the real beneficiaries.

If I would have invested that $10K in AAPL by say Dec. 1, 1987, that would have been a split adjusted price of $1.25/share, so about 8000 shares, to be worth $2.9 million today. Sigh. Same thing with deciding to sell $65,000 worth of INTC in 2000 to buy a Porsche Boxster S. Love that car and still drive it today but a fully depreciated asset worth only $7-8000 today. I should have stayed with a cheap commuter and invested $50K into AAPL. At roughly $4.50/share in mid March 2000, that would have been 11,111 shares, today worth $4.04 million.

My three words?
    Buy. Apple. Repeatedly.

July 6, 2020
  10. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Have more sex.

; – D

July 6, 2020
  11. LALIT JAGTAP said:
    “Karma and Chaos”

I was 15 In Mumbai, and I learned real meaning of “Karma and Chaos” after I grew 30 in USA.

Due to return of “hippy and yogi” Steve Job back to Apple. that helped me become owner of AAPL before 1999.

Looking back it’s due to “good karma and understanding chaos with great community like this one”

July 6, 2020
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:
      Karma and chaos. Love it.

Should be a bumper sticker for all of us.

July 6, 2020
  12. Chris Ferebee said:
    Back in the day, I hacked the Talking Moose to speak German with English MacinTalk phonemes. “It’s never too late for a happy childhood.”

July 6, 2020