Why the New York Times bailed on Apple

From the Times’ “The New York Times Pulls Out of Apple News” effective Monday:

The Times, which has made adding new subscribers a key business goal, said Apple had given it little in the way of direct relationships with readers and little control over the business. It said it hoped to instead drive readers directly to its own website and mobile app so that it could “fund quality journalism.”

“Core to a healthy model between The Times and the platforms is a direct path for sending those readers back into our environments, where we control the presentation of our report, the relationships with our readers and the nature of our business rules,” Meredith Kopit Levien, chief operating officer, wrote in a memo to employees. “Our relationship with Apple News does not fit within these parameters.”

My take: This is about who controls the subscriber list. I can relate to that.

1. Greg Boyd said:
    Prediction: They’ll be back in some form or fashion. Not as if they deleted app from App Store.

June 29, 2020
    My take: NYT wants to profit from advertiser tracking and spying, despite its editorial protests against “internet surveillance”. Hypocritical, but not surprising.

June 29, 2020
    • Alan Birnbaum said:
      It will be interesting when Safari 14 lists all the NYT trackers.

June 29, 2020
        On nytimes.com, Privacy Badger lists 2: doubleclick.net and googletagmanager.com

June 29, 2020
  3. Bart Yee said:
    PED, I have seen your PED30 blog posts on Apple News, Topic: Apple or iPhone. Could you share Your experience with Apple News and how, if at all, it has affected you regarding page views in Apple News, being favorited, or whether it has helped regular website page views or subscriptions?

I sure see a ton of various tech sites and other publications and “news” click websites on Apple News. I only view about 1/5 or less of the articles, partly because there is some redundancy in content.

June 29, 2020
    • I had to jump through hoops to get on Apple News. Took me months and I finally had to pull strings to get help. Terrible experience. Zero revenue, almost no traffic.

June 29, 2020
  4. Steven Philips said:
    I got tired of seeing “The ‘truth’ is worth it.” as a push to subscribe after every article.
    The NYT thinks more highly of itself than I do.
    I tended to shade toward WaPo when seeing the same basic story.

June 29, 2020
  5. Robert Stack said:
    Fascinating to see so many of you hating on the NYT for making this move. I strongly suspect many of you simply don’t like their editorial positions, which is certainly fair and a perfectly valid reason to get your news and editorial content from other sources. But judging from PED’s experience, its entirely possible that it simply hasn’t worked out for them from a business perspective. And that should be respected too.
    I ain’t defending them, just sayin’…

June 29, 2020
  6. Thomas Larkin said:
    IMHO, the NYT’s management overestimates its importance, and integrity.

June 30, 2020