Ming-Chi Kuo: No charger, no earbuds with Apple’s next iPhone

From 9to5Mac‘s Benjamin Mayo, who priced the missing components at $29 each:

The analyst previously said that Apple will no longer include wired earbuds with the iPhone 12, and today reports that he also expects the power adapter to now be sold separately too.

Kuo says that Apple wants to keep selling the iPhone 12 at a similar price to the iPhone 11 and removing in-box accessories will offset the cost of the 5G networking components. This will presumably reduce the size of the iPhone packaging considerably, helping lower Apple’s freight costs and be better for the environment.

My take: There’s more than one way to skin costs—and to sell more AirPods.

That’s good for me, at least. I despise ear plugs of all kinds, so if I were given those when I buy a new phone this fall, they’d just go into the “dead tech” drawer.

June 28, 2020
  2. Aaron Belich said:
    Likely Apple will offer new purchasers a choice for what type of charger / headphones.

Or honestly, this is all smoke and mirrors for something else that everyone’s clueless about.

June 28, 2020
  3. Ralph McDarmont said:
    I find it incredibly hard to believe Apple would not include a charger. I have many but that doesn’t matter. This will be a PR nightmare. Tim cannot possibly be so cheap and dumb.

June 28, 2020
    • Ralph McDarmont said:
      Can I reply to myself? This whole story might be bs. Cutting packaging size and warehouse space? Give me a break. I just bought another iPhone. The packaging was traditionally stunning. Jobs did that and it is a hallmark of the Apple Experience. I keep the empty boxes because they are elegant and I have hoarding issues.

June 28, 2020
      • Jerry Doyle said:
        @Ralph McDarmont: I don’t want to sound presumptuous as knowing Apple’s intent even in lieu that Ming-Chi Kuo may be correct in his forecast, but it may very well be Apple’s intent of the iPhone going “wireless” in the near future. Apple always is innovating. Additionally, Apple is pushing ever forward with more battery life for our phones. Apple may displace the iPhone power adapter similar to Apple displacing wired earbuds for AirPods. I hear many folk say how antiquated wired earbuds appear these days.

Apple may be planning to roll-out its AirPower wireless charging pad and we may be seeing wireless charging mats in public and private locations. So, the need to carry the power adapter and attached cords may soon become obsolete, unless we feel compelled to have one and if so, then folk will buy the accessories.

I hope we are moving sooner than later into the “wireless” environment. I find it inconvenient to pull out multiple power adapters with attached cords for plug-in between flights or wherever the need arise for my Watch, iPhone, Air Pods, iPad and MacBook.

June 28, 2020
        • David Drinkwater said:
          Another potential benefit to going wireless might be vast improvements in waterproofing.

June 28, 2020
      • Bart Yee said:
        Heh, Ralph, you are not the only one. Count also the iPad, Watch and Band boxes and one could literally build a nice Apple sales or pride of ownership display, complete with spotlight, rotating base, and background visual ad.

Maybe a little too much?

June 29, 2020
    • John Konopka said:
      Not only do most people have lots of chargers already, this is an opportunity for resellers like Best Buy to run promotions offering a free charger with the purchase of an iPhone. This way they can maintain the sale price of the iPhone.

June 28, 2020
  4. Aaron Belich said:
    Also a reminder the Kuo’s last big leak was that Air Power was shipping a week before officially cancelled by Apple.

June 29, 2020
  5. Bart Yee said:
    How about this theory? Apple ships the next iPhones without chargers and knocks $10-15 off the price. Take EarPods out and another $15 off the price. Or just leave the price stable with previous models but include 5G.

BUT, Apple also includes a promotion for the normal 5W charger for $15 (normally $19 Retail) or EarPods for $20, normally $29.00). No discussion about the charging cord at this point. Said promotion may also allow one to apply that value to fast chargers or AirPods, effectively a discount.

Consumers would then be given the option of what they want to do. Longtime users and upgraders get a break on price and help the environment by eliminating additional e-waste. New users pay the freight or get what they want as needed.

Everyone then has an opportunity to upgrade to AirPods, fast chargers or wireless charging mats, Apple or otherwise, and / or different cables. Meanwhile, Apple (neatly) eliminates about 150 million new chargers and 150 million wired EarPods from the environment (that may sit in the box or drawer) out of say 175-190 million iPhones sold this next cycle and then annually and beyond. Apple also saves incremental costs on iPhone BOM but also gains additional revenue by accessory or upgraded accessory sales, and indirectly, services.

Win – win?