Financial Times: Lost AirPods are money in Apple’s pocket

From “Apple AirPods: use ’em and lose ’em” ($) posted Saturday:

Kim Nam-joon, a member of K-pop band BTS, made headlines when he admitted losing a staggering 33 pairs of Apple AirPod earphones in recent years. Pop stars are not the only careless owners. The average AirPod owner buys a new pair every two years either as an upgrade or replacement, according to analysis by Wedbush Securities. The pace of turnover suggests early AirPod adopters are already on their second or third pair.

The ease with which AirPods can be mislaid plus their fairly short lifespan have bulked up sales of an already popular product. Widely mocked when they were released in 2016, Apple’s distinctive white accessories have become a smash hit.

Cue the NYC subway chart:

apple airpods lost

Click to enlarge.

My take: Thanks to the pandemic, the profile of the little white earbuds has never been higher.

apple airpods lost
The hosts of Pod Save America on Stephen Colbert

I’m sure no other brand earbuds have this problem…

May 16, 2020
  2. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    Best practice — AirPods should only be found in one of two places:

1) In their case.

2) In your head.

May 16, 2020
    • Aaron Belich said:
      Yup! Love em, except I still can’t maintain a good fit on my right APP. Damn bastard keeps coming loose and tries to fall out after 20-30 minutes. I’ve tried the larger foam third party (non-hack) offerings and no improvement. I fear if I look for any larger offerings the bud won’t fit in the case.

May 16, 2020
      • Kirk DeBernardi said:
        @ Aaron Belich —

You might was to try this company’s offerings for earphone tips. Their tips are some of the more comfortable and durable ones available.

You don’t mention if you’re having problems with AirPods or the AirPods Pro. They currently have tips for AirPods, but the AirPods Pro tips should be released soon.

I’ve used their products before. Very comfortable and they allow for a snug all-day wear.

May 17, 2020
  3. John Konopka said:
    Two years is also about how long the batteries last.

May 17, 2020
  4. Bart Yee said:
    The Kpop Star doesn’t have a sense of value to take care of his things, since he can afford it repeatedly, IMO he places little value on caring for it, including making sure he retains them. Maybe he needs some Tiles to go along with them.

RE: NYTA electronics in lost and found: who brings an air conditioner or record player on the subway and then leaves it behind?

I’ll bet the non-electronics list is similar to the TSA list as well except a lot more bizarre.

May 18, 2020