Dieter Bohn: The iPhone SE is a ‘shockingly good value’

Posted by The Verge’s executive editor Thursday in advance of a hands-on review:

Yesterday, Apple announced the new $399 iPhone SE. The TL;DR appears to be really simple: the iPhone 8’s body, the iPhone 11’s processor, and the iPhone XR’s camera system with a few new capabilities. I’ll obviously wait to review this phone to tell you if it’s any good, but assuming Apple lives up to its usual standards I can tell you something right away:

At $399, the second-generation iPhone SE is a shockingly good value.

My take: That seems to be the consensus.

See also:

One guy, I forgot the link, wrote “SE 2 shows how overpriced the rest of iPhones are.” Some people just don’t understand economics 🙁

April 16, 2020
    Nice headline. Budget buyers will own this iPhone for four years, just over $1 per day.

April 16, 2020
    • John Konopka said:
      Actually, $399 over four years is about 27 cents a day.

April 16, 2020
      • Fred Stein said:
        Thanks. What was I thinking.

April 16, 2020
    Fred is correct that budget buyers who desire this premium phone in this category class will own it for four years at least, but I suspect those budget buyers hold their phones for the full seven years that Apple provides software support. If one pro-rates the cost of the device on the full seven years of Apple support, then I say “wow,” what a bargain.

I still have and use my old iPhone 5 (no longer gets software updates) and my old iPhone 6Plus (continues to get security updates only). It excites me every time I switch to these old devices with two contrasting form factors. I derive as much pleasure using them today as I did when they were new.

April 16, 2020
      One first day of launch I bought an iPhone w/ 8gig memory.

Then I bought the iPhone 3G followed by the:
      iPhone 3GS
      iPhone 4
      iPhone 5C
      iPhone SE

and finally the iPhone XS Max

The XS Max is easily my favorite.

Still waiting for a compelling use case for 5G on an iPhone. I will upgrade my iPad Pro when it is available with 5G.

April 16, 2020
    For grins, the SE brings in another kind of buyer – the gifter, a parent, grandparent, child of older parents, etc. For $399 the giver earns esteem (at least in their own eyes).

April 16, 2020