Apple shares rebound on China production news

From Bloomberg’s “Apple Suppliers Aim to Resume Full China Production Feb. 10“:

apple china production resumptionApple Inc.’s major suppliers in China, including iPhone-maker Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., plan to resume full-scale production in the country Feb. 10, despite the coronavirus that has infected thousands and limited travel.

Foxconn’s Hon Hai, the most important manufacturer for the U.S. company, said Tuesday it still expects to be able to restart facilities throughout China on schedule, according to a text message sent to Bloomberg News. Suppliers such as Quanta Computer Inc., Inventec Corp. and LG Display Co. also said they would go back to work next week in China.

While Chinese officials and companies have targeted Feb. 10 as the date to resume work in much of the country, doubts about the timing have grown in recent days as the virus death toll rises, workers find themselves stuck in municipal lockdowns and the transport of people and goods has been hampered.

My take: If not next week, then eventually.

See also: Apple 3.0 Wuhan coronavirus archives.

Coronavirus begone

I absolutely love merino wool sweaters. Whenever I see them on sale I just gotta buy one. I have eleven and am contemplating buying another (on sale) because it’s on sale. I just can’t help myself.

Yesterday I did what I said I wouldn’t. AAPL seemed to have bottomed so I bought FEB 7 $300/$302.50 Call Spreads at $1.95.

This morning I bought FEB 7 $310/$312.50s at $1.95.

February 4, 2020
    Off topic…. hope no imposition, but I have been searching for the number of individuals who hold Apple shares. The answer may be right under my nose, but does anyone know how many Apple shareholders there are?

Thanks in advance….

Jerry D

February 4, 2020
    • “I have been searching for the number of individuals who hold Apple shares”

I’ve asked Apple PR. They sometimes answer my questions.

• Jerry Doyle said:
        Thanks, PED. I know the shareholders numbers vacillate, but I would like to get an idea of just how many folk hold Apple shares.

February 4, 2020
    I talked with another Apple shareholder with whom we tag-up annually, and he as I got the same message that the server encountered an unexpected condition that did not allow it to complete the request. Did any of us on the PED forum get an invite through? I am very disappointed! I was poised at the precise moment to hit the key over and over. I’m crying’ buckets of tears!

February 4, 2020
    If anyone finds out what happened, would he or she be so kind as to give the rest of us who failed to get our successful invite an explanation as to what happened. At least we may get some consolation from that explanation. I’m so disappointed! No, I am sad. I’m crying’ buckets of tears! PED…. can you find out what happened?

5. George Ewonus said:
    GO go go – it’s open now. Just registered!

February 4, 2020
    Yes! I did too! Go, go, go….. Geaux, Geaux, Geaux!

7. George Ewonus said:
    Confirmation email received!

February 4, 2020
    Tonight we celebrate at Boudreaux’s!!!!

9. John Konopka said:
    We registered as well. Looks like some kind of server error. After 45 minutes they reposted a link on proxyvote and we registered easily. I suspect a lot of people gave up when they saw the server error message. We’ve been attending for at least 10 years. The new Steve Jobs theater is awesome.

Next year it would be very kind of PED if he could start a thread about signing in the morning of so we can more easily share information like this.

• katherine anderson said:
      Good idea; with Philip’s help I got through.
      After I gave up, I emailed an Apple public relations exec to ask if there was a remote chance Apple might be releasing more tickets in the coming days. I cc’d Philip. He responded by saying “try again,” and it worked.
      Can’t wait to see the new Steve Jobs theatre, and tour any other structures visitors are allowed access.

February 5, 2020
  10. Michael Thompson said:
    Where did the Scare Tactic Coronavirus go?

I’m frightened of catching it. Nope.

11. Kirk DeBernardi said:
    I hit the server melt-down-brick-wall for a good 40 + min starting at 800a PST on the dot. Then the page refreshed without the “register” button/link at all.

I was about to throw in the towel when I decided to refresh the page and give it one more go.

Eureka! Got through and registered in a snap. (Cool confirmation page on my iMac that included a link to add the entry ticket and event info to the Wallet app on my iPhone — bada-bing.)

What remains to be seen is whether this is all handled through ProxyVote servers or ProxyVote simply links over to Apple.

After all, it’s their show.

My heart goes out to those who gave up too early.