Apple doubles daily cash back to goose holiday sales

Pay $6,000 for a new MacPro today, get $360 back on your Apple cash card tomorrow.

Footnote 3:

6% savings is earned as Daily Cash and is transferred to your Apple Cash card when transactions post to your Apple Card account. If you do not have an Apple Cash card, Daily Cash can be applied by you as a credit on your statement balance. 6% is the total amount of Daily Cash earned for these purchases. Purchases from Apple Media Services and AppleCare+ monthly payments, as well as any Apple iPhone Payments or Apple iPhone Upgrade Program charges posted to your account outside of the promotional period, are ineligible. Additional details apply; see apple.com/apple-card for more information.

My take: Apple must figure it’s got margin to spare.

1. Jerry W Doyle said:

“… My take: Apple must figure it’s got margin to spare.”

Possibly, PED. My take is Apple must figure a way to compete with itself through the Barclays Apple Visa Card “free financing” up to 18 months.

I experienced this comparative competitiveness recently when I qualified for the 18 month free financing in purchasing my daughter’s new iPhone and Apple Watch. I wanted to use Apple Pay, but in doing so I would need to payoff the entire balance at the end of the month to avoid finance charges, which I always do with my purchases. However, I never turn my back on a “free interest” loan, which to me is like free money as I can use the money that I normally would use to pay the entire balance off at the end of the month toward my investments strategies.

So think about this scenario above. You spend $6,000 today and get $360 back tomorrow. To avoid interest on that $6,000 you have to pay off the balance in full by the end of the month. That is $6,000 that you could put to work for yourself, making money on investments, if you choose Barclays Apple Card Visa payment plan of zero financing for 18 months. So, my course of action is to set-up an electronic payment of $334 monthly for 18 months to Barclays Visa Apple Card.

Additionally, Barclays Visa Apple Card gives me 18,000 Apple Rewards points, 3 points for each dollar spent on an Apple purchase. Each 2,500 reward points is a $25 Apple gift card. So, I also get 7.2 Apple Rewards Gift Cards worth $180. That is $180 less than the $360 Apple cash card payback, but I still am compelled to pay $6,000 by the end of the month on my Apple Card Balance (and whatever other Apple Card monthly charges I accrued) to avoid Apple’s monthly finance charge.

I will take that no interest free loan of 18 months from Barclays Visa Apple Card any day and use that $6,000 toward increased investments, along with concomitant dividends. And, I still have $160 worth of Apple gift cards, too.

To be competitive with its’ Barclay Visa Apple Card, Apple needs to offer the same no interest loan periods as Barclays Visa Apple Card offers.

December 10, 2019
    • Jerry W Doyle said:

Apple has moved “today” to address the problem I identified above. I just read an announcement that starting on Tuesday (today), people who have an Apple Card can buy an iPhone in 24 monthly installments without paying interest. Great news Apple. Now Apple needs to extend that to all its devices if it wants to compete fully with its Barclaycard Visa Apple Card. Apple’s announcement today seems limited solely to its iPhones, and does not cover its other devices, including the MacPro.

December 10, 2019

My take: Apple must figure it’s got margin to spare.

Lowered price on iPhone 11 by $50, Apple TV+ free for a year with qualifying Apple product purchase, double cash back for holidays, yeah, Apple thinks it has margin to spare.

That belief must be considered as an indication that Apple revenue in on track to meet or beat guidance, no matter what the Ron Halls and Jun Zhang’s “research” says.

OT: it would appear that uninformed chicken littles didn’t learn from the previous one day sell off and did it again yesterday. So far today Apple’s intraday high has been north of $270, almost completely erasing yesterday’s sell off.

December 10, 2019
  3. Jerry W Doyle said:

Fully loaded, the new MacPro costs more than $52,000, and that’s excluding the optional $400 wheels for easily moving the machine around an office. I assume the 6% Daily Cash back applies for those wanting all the bells & whistles to go on the machine. Nice! That is $3,144 placed in your Apple Cash Card 24 hours later -:)

December 10, 2019

Apple has margin to spare. Yes!

Potentially the bigger play is ‘Health Club’ membership. We’ll all get these offers of 3 free months to health subscription offers in Jan.

Apple is signing up Card and Apple Pay and Apple TV+ subscribers now, when holiday wallets are open. Each of these services will grow ARPU for a long time. Instead of acquiring Netflixx or Tesla or some other harebrained idea from the talking heads, Apple acquires customers. Much smarter.

Just in case trade talks break down, Apple, and its customers, take advantage of the current tariff-free situation.

December 10, 2019
  5. Aaron Belich said:

Fiscal year 2020 is going to get a small but measurable bump from design houses and influencers upgrading their iMacPros/TrashCans.

December 11, 2019