Statista: It’s going to be earbud/headphone Christmas

58 percent of U.S. adults are planning to give a pair this holiday season.

From a press release that landed on my desktop Friday:

As technology plays an increasingly large role in our lives, it is no surprise that it also features prominently under the Christmas tree. According to the Consumer Technology Association, 74 percent of U.S. adults plan to buy at least one tech gift this year, spending an estimated total of $97.1 billion on technology this holiday season (October-December).

As our chart illustrates, tech gifts range from big ticket items such as laptops or smartphones to smaller, more affordable things such as activity trackers or digital media streaming devices that connect to a TV set. Headphones and earbuds are the most popular tech gift this year with 58 percent of U.S. adults planning to give a pair away.

apple statista earbuds Christmas

My take: The new AirPods I gave myself are coming next week.

1. Robert Harris said:

Mine are supposed to arrive today from amazon

November 29, 2019
  2. Kathy Corby said:

If you haven’t given in and bought them yet, you will be amazed by the noise cancellation. I put mine into my ears at the store and the sudden hush alarmed me for a moment, as though something had gone terribly wrong somewhere! (Had I lost my hearing? Oh, no, it was all good…)
    I love to consider that by the time someone has gone in for both an Apple watch and AirPods, they have basically spent the price of a medium tier cellphone fleshing out their Apple lifestyle. Why do so many of the analysts treat these devices as afterthoughts?

November 29, 2019
    • Kirk DeBernardi said:

Hi Kathy —

First time directly replying to a member of Apple 3.0. Don’t actually know how this works.

Was pleased to hear about your experience with AirPods Pro, but I wanted to make you aware of a small hack you can easily do to enhance their complete sound voicing and accuracy.

Here is a cut & paste of my most recent post regarding the AirPods —

>> (Once again, please allow me this repeat comment from a recent PED post concerning AirPods Pro) —

If you really want to get a more complete, more accurate and fuller sound experience with music from the AirPods Pro, try turning on “Treble Boost” in the equalizer settings under Music:

Settings >
      Music >
      EQ >
      Treble Boost

Apple has changed the sound signature of the AirPods Pro from the original sound of AirPods/EarPods. IMHO, by design, the midrange is noticeably more full and the upper high-end has been pushed down towards the mids. This type of sound is also an inevitable artifact of the seal at the ears that takes place with this new design. Surprisingly, given their popularity, only a few of the reviews I’ve read/seen have even mentioned this obvious change.

In addition, the original AirPods/EarPods mid to low end sound, while definitely present, would sadly tend to get “thin” (less full) if they didn’t stay close enough to your ears while in. Depending upon the quality of fit in one’s ear, this loss would inevitably lead to some sour comments about the overall quality of the sound.

With AirPods Pro, turning on the Treble Boost under the EQ settings helps balance-out this mids accentuation and is just subtle enough — as are all the built-in EQ settings — to not interfere with the overall tight balance of sound — one of the AirPods Pro‘s “claims to fame”.

Also critical — the tips seal at the ear. This truly completes the sound “picture”.

You owe it to yourself to try this hack. You might discover things you hadn’t heard before — a Holy Grail of a good-to-great sound experience and — IMHO — THE main reason for AirPods wide success across all types of listeners.

When you are closer to the accuracy of good sound, you are closer to the emotion of music.

A sweet human experience. Kinda what Apple is good at.

(The EQ settings are only applied to Music — nothing else and tend to drop the sound gain (read: volume) just a wee bit overall because of the sound processing.) <<

December 1, 2019
  3. Dan Scropos said:

if Apple continues to compete at these lower price points, they should absolutely dominate. I can’t help but think that a HomePod Mini priced at $199 or $249 will sell like absolute hot cakes. I expect one in the spring of 2020. I have to believe that John Giannandrea is working on just that, among other things.

November 29, 2019
  4. George Knott said:

I have had mine for a few weeks now and absolutely love them, not only for conference calls, but also for use on my weekly airline commute from SoCal to Boston. Truly are worth the price!!

November 29, 2019

I flew a lot the other way (Washington to SoCal) in the first half of the previous decade. That kind of travel is tough on your body, and you earn Frequent Flier perqs the hard way!

November 30, 2019
  5. Kirk DeBernardi said:

Settings >
    Music >
    EQ >
    Treble Boost

You owe it to yourself to try this hack, you might discover things you hadn’t heard before. A Holy Grail of a good-to-great sound experience and — IMHO — THE main reason for AirPods wide success across all types of listeners.

A sweet human experience. Kinda what Apple is good at.

December 1, 2019