The Information: Apple’s AR glasses still a few years away

From “Apple Eyes 2022 Release for AR Headset, 2023 for Glasses” ($) posted Monday morning:

Apple executives discussed the timelines, which haven’t been previously reported, in an internal presentation to employees at the company’s Cupertino, California, campus in October, according to people familiar with the matter. Apple Vice President Mike Rockwell, who heads the team responsible for Apple’s AR and virtual reality initiatives, led the meeting, which included new details about the design and features of the AR headset, these people said…

Apple’s headset, code-named N301, will offer a hybrid of AR and VR capabilities, according to people familiar with the device. It resembles the Oculus Quest, a Facebook virtual reality headset released earlier this year, but with a sleeker design, these people said. Cameras will be mounted on the outside of the device, allowing people to see and interact with their physical surroundings, they said. Apple wants to make heavy use of fabrics and lightweight materials to ensure the device is comfortable to wear for extended periods of time, executives said in the presentation in October…

In contrast, Apple’s AR glasses, code-named N421, present bigger technical challenges than the headset and are further from release. They are meant to be worn all day, and current prototypes look like high-priced sunglasses with thick frames that house the battery and chips, according to a person who has seen them. Additionally, Apple has explored the use of lenses for the glasses that darken when people are using AR on them, a way of letting others know the wearer of the glasses is distracted, said another person involved with the project.

My take: Puts the lie to Ming-Chi Kuo’s dubious timeline. See Kuo: Apple glasses could ship in Q2 2020

One day this rocket has to reverse. I rolled my $257.50/$260 Put Spread into $262,50/$265 Put Spreads this morning with AAPL at $259.60.

PE is now is nosebleed territory (for AAPL).

November 11, 2019
    • Reader Tibor (“Zani”) Gyorffy sent this over the transom. I’m posting it in hopes he makes enough on Apple to graduate to subscriber…

“Hi Gregg! I agree with you about your assessment that this rocket has to come down at one point. But let me ask you this, why would you trade against the trend? If you pull up the 2 year chart of AAPL, it is super educational and crystal clear that after a plunge from around 230 down to 140 or so, the stock came back up, building a perfect triangle to the 220 congestion area and broke out at 230/233 with enormous momentum. If you just take a measured move, 230-140 equals about 90 points and add it to the concession area and breakout point of 220 or (230) you will arrive to $310-320 as the next ceiling. Obviously the stock can come back and retest and do anything in between. But I am not sure I would count on that. At any rate you are going against the trend risking too much. If you really want to short you would be much better off close to 290/300 range to start.
      Also consider that that the near time outlook and fundamentals are extremely and dangerously promising. Everybody wrote off the iPhone 11 cycle, and they were all wrong. This could be magnified through the first quarter and punch everybody in the face. Apple could surprise on the upside big time. But I am just a small fish who knows nothing and I really appreciate your input. Also tremendously enjoying the site.”

November 11, 2019
      • victor castroll said:

he’s got measured move right.

but wrong numbers.

the high for this move is $270.

November 11, 2019

Thanks Dr. T. Just curious, what time horizons do you typically work with. (I’m not yet comfortable with the spread thing.)

November 11, 2019

Typically Monday to Friday. I just took my lumps, as AAPL isn’t trading according to any historic measure I use, and Closed my position taking a large loss in doing so. From here I’m going to sit on my hands until I see AAPL decline. At these heights it has to, I just have nothing to gauge how much more it can go up, or down.

It would appear that a rather rapid change in view of Apple is underway. As much as TC has touted Services over the past several years I think WS has finally accepted it.

November 11, 2019
      • Aaron Belich said:

Give it 12 to 18 months for future Apple Is Doomed(TM) to set in about the failure in whatever current or future services, and however late to the market these alleged glasses are.

November 11, 2019

“the lie” is a bit extreme! How about “an alternative, credible narrative”?

November 11, 2019
  4. Jerry W Doyle said:

Apple’s AR glasses seem exciting. Reading and hearing about them always tease me into feeling enthusiastic and filled with anticipation for their arrival. I read everything on them that I come across, but candidly I am perplexed as to how they possibly will address my daily activities-of-living-needs the way the Apple Watch does to warrant me to purchase a pair of the glasses.

Automobiles all have HUD. Other than providing a wearer HUD as a pedestrian negotiating through a major city and thus not having to hold an iPhone in one’s hands to use Apple map, I know of no other functional use for wearing AR glasses.

It is easier to use Apple Watch for Apple Pay or for Passes. Who desires to stick their heads down into a NFC device?

In summary, there will need to be much functional value for using applications on Apple’s AR glasses for me to wear a pair all day in carrying out activities-of-daily-living.

Additionally, no article that I ever have read describing AR glasses has enumerated “functional” uses. So, I am having an extremely difficult time envisioning just what they can do for me to make my life easier by wearing them throughout the day.

Candidly, they seem years away before anyone can say with any certainty, “…. Hey! You need these AR glasses to wear throughout the day!” What for?

November 11, 2019
  5. Kathy Corby said:

Really hoping they adjust from far to near for those of us with presbyopia. Would absolutely wear them all day long if they did.
    And funny how commentators say how “unApple-like” such an employee meeting is at a company famed for its secrecy. (See the excellent observer Gruber of Daring Fireball…) But– prematurely revealing improvements to a company’s existing products, that will cause buyers to pause and wait rather than purchase one’s own current offerings, can be catastrophic. However, teasing/revealing new products that will cause purchasers to wait for their introduction, rather than purchase competitors’ products, can be very savvy indeed.

November 12, 2019