CNBC’s latest Apple video is a 13-minute wet kiss for Android

“I’m really not that impressed by this phone” —CNBC’s Kif Leswing on the iPhone 11 Pro

From Dain Evans’ “Apple’s newest iPhone relies on cameras to hide its lack of innovation”:

The iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max are Apple’s newest phones, and both tout a triple-camera setup. But this is not new. In fact, it’s one of the last smartphone manufacturers to include a wide-angle lens on its phones. LG added a wide-angle lens to its G5 and V20 phones in 2016, and Samsung introduced it on the Galaxy S10 and S10+ early in 2019. And besides cameras, Samsung has experimented with folding screens, mobile desktop interfaces, gesture controls and more in the past year.

Apple, the company that created the modern-day smartphone, is relying on technology customers are already extremely familiar with, like cameras, and taking a backseat when it comes to smartphone innovation. But the company’s dedication to familiar technology could be a benefit to the iPhone lineup.

My take: By the end of his report, Evans gets to that last sentence, which suggests that Apple might actually know what it’s doing.

Cue the video:

I didn’t watch it. I’m up to hear with Apple can’t innovate stories. I rather PED found something else to post than these fictions. They don’t enhance the discussion.

October 13, 2019
    • Fred Stein said:

Right Gregg. 13 minutes of slobbering over Android? No.

Thanks PED, for mentioning the nod to folding screens. Apple filed patents on that many years ago. It makes no sense to pay $2000 ($1000 extra) to be able to turn a smartphone into a tablet. That alone devalues Kif’s work.

October 13, 2019
  2. Jerry W Doyle said:

I found it enjoyable PED because it reminds me of why Apple is the premium brand smartphone.

I do not believe that anyone on this forum feels that Apple no longer innovates. Apple clearly innovates. They do so selectively, with purpose and clear vision.

I appreciate the fact that Apple is not going to rush or push new and innovative features onto consumers until Apple believes deeply that it has perfected on that vision approach for a unique consumer experience.

I also do not believe anyone thinks Apple doesn’t have the technological capability to innovate, to push the technological envelope. They have more cash on hand than many countries’ GDPs.

As I denoted above, Apple innovates selectively with purpose and with clear vision and when to do so. It definitely is a judgement call. Obviously they can do it. They choose wisely when to do so.

When Apple ships it’s iPhones, they tend to have much higher benchmark performance than all or nearly all the competition. This is where the premium quality consumer experience evolves.

Apple’s strategy is to ship the best phones on the market, and it has to serve everybody out-of-the-box. The new iPhone 11 offerings is a testament to this strategy. The Pro and Pro Max are great devices, the best on the market. I want to reiterate that statement: They are the “best” on the market!

Innovation is not an end in itself as we all know. It’s a means to an end. The goal of innovation should be to create better products, superior designs and premium usability; and, this is where Apple excels.

We know there are other companies that will throw quickly every new technology they can in their products and then blatantly pass that crap off on to a gullible consumer as “innovation.”

Apple prefers to wait until the market is ripe for a new approach. When the market is ready, then Apple is ready to provide a unique content consumer consumption experience by offering up a bold new product that gives the consumer simplicity, ease of use and superb aesthetic beauty.

Lastly, as one of my Apple buddies has taught me, Apple then continues through multiple product generations to “refine,” to “perfect” the original vision instead of taking the product into random or technology-driven directions.

October 13, 2019
  3. Aaron Belich said:

I’m surprised they didn’t throw in a “if Jobs was still alive…”

Everything else was a collection of mischaracterizations and half-truths.

October 13, 2019
  4. Robert LoCascio said:

This is just too ridiculous to be considered even close to “news” from the financial news network CNBC. Infomercial, maybe – perhaps anti-infomercial is better.

When Apple put a $1,000 price tag on the iPhone the tech reporting world screamed that nobody would ever buy an iPhone again. Now there’s a $2,000 foldable phone on the market and there’s hardly a peep. No incredulity about price and virtually no rejection of the device based on the lack of utility of foldable hardware. What am I missing?

October 13, 2019
  5. Kirk DeBernardi said:

And with this woeful lack of innovation, Apple has a 98% satisfaction rate.

They’re obviously doing something wrong AND their doomed.

(Besides, it’s not all about innovation anyway, but moreover what you do with the right innovation, in the right way and at the right time.)

October 14, 2019