24 charming minutes with Tim Cook

From the David Rubenstein show on Bloomberg TV.

In the video below, Rubenstein pops the question at the 21:44 minute mark:

Rubenstein: You’re obviously a pretty public figure, you weren’t before. Have you ever thought that maybe you could run for President of the United States? Because… [applause] You’ve seen the President up close. And I think you probably realize you have a lot of skills that maybe he doesn’t have. So have you ever thought…

Cook: I’m not political. Right? I love focusing on the policy stuff. But in the dysfunction in Washington between the legislative branch and so forth, I think that I can make a bigger difference in the world doing what I’m doing. And I appreciate the comment, but… I think… Yeah. You know, President is something [where] you’d love to be President, but not ever run. That should never happen in our country. And so that kind of eliminates me. [Transcribed from Bloomberg’s version.]

Below: The YouTube edit.

1. Ken Cheng said:

“Yeah. You know, President is something [where] you’d love to be President, but not ever run. That should never happen in our country. And so that kind of eliminates me.”

That still doesn’t rule out the Gerald Ford way.

June 13, 2018

True, but the Gerald Ford way pretty much assumes a path through the party in power. I can’t see Trump picking Cook, nor the Republicans in Congress supporting his nomination.

(That’s not to say Cook wouldn’t be a good President, it’s just to point out the politics of a Congressional nomination process.)

June 13, 2018

“My take: Neither the interviewer not the subject mentions Donald Trump by name. Cook can’t even bring himself to say “executive branch.”

Out of everything that was discussed having to do with Apple this is what your “Take” is?

I think your ‘take’ is heavily influenced by your personal political views, of which I have no interest, not here anyway.

June 13, 2018
    • Ken Cheng said:

It’s always best to avoid politics, religion, sex, health and income in polite company; however, given that politics can affect our favorite fruit company, we are sometimes forced to consider politics. Steve Jobs was on record for strongly disliking Washington in addition to Wall St. After all these years, I just try to ignore things I don’t care for.

June 13, 2018
    • Gianfranco Pedron said:

Sorry Gregg, but given the history between Tim Cook and POTUS 45, that observation is entirely valid and worth mentioning. Where you see political bias, I see honest reporting of a situation of interest to AAPL investors.

We all have different perspectives and, yes, biases. That’s kind of what makes us human, and interesting. As long as we can express those differences in respectful dialogue, I find looking at the world through somebody else’s eyes, through their perspective, to be fascinating. I think the PED3.0 and its comment threads are successful at delivering that kind of insight in a great environment. That’s why I keep coming back.

June 13, 2018

I don’t mind PED making his “take” clear.

June 14, 2018

So many highlights.

Around 6 minutes in, when asked about being interviewed by Steve, Tim said that Steve was rebuilding his executive team. A) Great choice in getting Tim. How the heck did Steve find Tim in Texas in Compaq? That’s bizarre when you think about it. B) One of Steve’s greatest talents was finding the very best and then taking them to a higher level. C) Talk about bold – replace your top org. Arguably one of the best business decisions ever.

One of Tim’s outstanding skills is being strong, without provoking controversy. Eg. his comments on privacy. Great job.

June 13, 2018

Well, Zuckerberg, et.al. might disagree over “without provoking controversy,” given Cook’s comments on Facebook and Facebook’s response. 🙂 🙂 (Go Tim!)

June 13, 2018