Why oh why did Apple kill MagSafe?

The most user-hostile act of the Tim Cook/Jony Ive era.

From The Verge, the day the first MacBooks without MagSafe power adaptors went on sale:

MagSafe was one of those tiny but brilliant innovations that made you question how no one else had thought of it yet. Rather than having a power cable get locked into a laptop — leading to the possibility of someone tripping over the cable and yanking the computer onto the floor — Apple’s MagSafe cables attached magnetically; strong enough to hold on, but weak enough that they’d rip off instead of taking a computer with them.

My take: The expiration of AppleCare on my 2015 MacBook Air, the last Apple laptop with MagSafe, has put me in a funk.

7. SD card slot

And Apple could have donated/licensed the MagSafe patents to the USB Consortium for USB-C connectors.

(It would be A Great Thing if all USB-C connectors were MagSafe. The time someone tripped over a cord and broke my MB Pro, he tripped over the Ethernet cable and not the power cable.)

June 12, 2018

(To continue that story: The guy’s name was “Bier”. This was about the time the Airport Express was introduced, and the next time we had one of those big quarterly meetings with cables running all over the place, I plugged my Airport Express into the wall and into an Ethernet cable. Someone asked, “What’s that?” “A wireless access point.” “What’s the network called?” “Bierproof!” And the poor guy who broke my MBP would hide in embarrassment. This went on for a couple of meetings until Corporate Security caught up with the times and outlawed ‘private’ WiFI.)

June 12, 2018
  2. Ken Cheng said:

“The expiration of AppleCare on my 2015 MacBook Air, the last Apple laptop with MagSafe, has put me in a funk.”
    Depending upon which model, a refurbed 2015 11.6″ MBA is as little as $400. I bought one not long ago from Newegg, refurbed by Altatec, which came practically new, with only about 50 cycles on the battery.

June 12, 2018
  3. Roger Schutte said:

Last month, I bought 2 – 15″ 2015 MacBook Pro’s (with AppleCare) from Apple for my wife and I for all the reasons above. It’s the greatest MBP ever made. – Roger

June 12, 2018

I still have my 2010 MacBook Pro. Stopped using it when I got an iPad and an iMac (I’m no longer mobile).

My next Mac will be this December (Christmas gift to myself). Won’t get the Pro. My heaviest lifting is a very big Excel spreadsheet or two.

June 12, 2018
  5. Richard Wanderman said:

Another, overlapping issue is Lightning vs USB C for iOS. Is or was it a good idea to use USB C for charging as well as data transfer as on the new MacBook and now MacBook Pro?

I love the idea of cables that are reversible and I suppose Lightning, being Apple’s standard isn’t as universal as USB C but between this issue and the illumination of MagSafe it seems that over simplicity may have gone too far.

June 13, 2018