Jilted by Facebook, pubs ‘falling in love’ with Apple News

Web publishers reporting “significant traffic spikes.”

From Business Insider‘s Mike Shields:

After a shaky start which led many in the media world to doubt whether Apple was serious about the product (the Wall Street Journal reported in 2016 that neither publishers nor Apple execs were sure how big their Apple News audiences were), a slew of top web publishers are enjoying significant traffic spikes from the news aggregation app.

For example:

• Vice’s traffic via Apple News more than doubled in the last year, according to people familiar with the matter.
  • Meredith has seen 122% yearly growth in unique visitors reaching its properties via Apple News, and a 327% overall growth in pages consumed.
  • Vox has enjoyed sizable traffic from Apple News as well, The Information reported.
  • One source said that 17% of the Apple News audience visits every day.
  • Some individual stories have generated half of their traffic from Apple News.

My take: Curated, huge built-in audience, no fake news. What’s not to love? I wish we could get it to work with Apple 3.0.

Glad to hear the ‘news’ on this line of business, a tiny fraction of the services business, which is on track to double every four or five years. Disclaimer: Not a prediction, just a hypothetical about the long term growth potential for Apple. If we broaden to content delivery – news, music, video, education, etc. Apple is at the bottom of its potential “S-Curve”.

May 10, 2018
  2. Kathy Corby said:
    Kinda thought some good (Apple News) news was on the way when I read a recent online article in which a journalism professor complained that her students were so ignorant that they thought that Apple News was a source rather than a platform. Good to know the students had it top of mind. That’s OK with me– it’s my source! I wish I could have Siri read it to me on my home pod, like Alexa reads me my flash briefing. Apple, are you listening?

May 10, 2018
      I think Apple’s plans for HomePod, SIRI, and streaming video go far beyond what we see today.

I see all video streamlined through AppleTV being parsed with audio streaming through multiple HomePods.

I see SIRI reading news feeds, emails, messages via HomePods and AirPods.

I see HomePods becoming the audio for a multi-channel home theater surround sound system.

I see HomePod making and receiving telephone calls.

I see AppleTV displaying contact info (from incoming calls) on your TV and Mac with SIRI commands rejecting the call or pausing video streaming when Call is answered.

I think we have only seen the tip of Apple’s plans for AppleTV, HomePod, streaming video, music, iTunes and SIRI.

May 10, 2018
    • Ken Cheng said:
      Hmmm…good point. I wonder if you were to setup your accessibility to read aloud your Apple News, and then to set your sound output as your HomePod if that would work.

Now, I’m going to look and see if I can do it.

May 11, 2018
      • Ken Cheng said:
        Got my iPhone to read the news, by setting it up to read the screen, it’ll just keep reading below what’s in view, so it’ll read a whole article. Unfortunately, I couldn’t figure out how to Airplay the audio over to my HomePod. Should be easy to do, but beyond my capability at the moment.

May 11, 2018
  3. John Butt said:
    Unfortunately Apple has not yet discovered New Zealand. Not only have I not been able to even consider publishing articles on Apple News, but to use it for my own reading I have to register my iPad and iPhone as located in Australia!

May 10, 2018
  4. Richard Wanderman said:
    It would be nice if there was a MacOS version of Apple News. I mean, after all, the Mac is one of Apple’s products…

I use Apple News daily and while I prefer my RSS feed collection, it’s quite good for a magazine format application. Glad it’s doing well for Apple.

May 10, 2018