Why did Apple postpone the HomePod?

Three ways of looking at a launch delay:

My take: I’m with Jonny. iPhones seem to be selling like hotcakes. Apple might not need HomePod this quarter to make its numbers.

1. Robert Harris said:
    I’d rather have a positive launch with a first class product than a rushed product like Sammy does then tons of bad reviews. We all know there will be 100’s of articles about how much better Alexa is so getting it right or “insainly Great” is the Apple I love. Funny how there were no “leaks” or ramp up articles on this. Clearly the builder has more control than the iPhone. Or maybe it’s just fewer parts. Either way I’m now looking for new Christmas presents for the family.

November 18, 2017
      We don’t get any “production constraint” rumors for Macs, iPads, Apple Watches , AirPods or AapleTVs either. Funny how Kuo’s phantom sources don’t know anything about those products, funnier still that the only product Apple has “problems manufacturing is the same one that competes directly with Samsung’s Galaxy.

At best Kuo is a shill for somebody, at worst he’s an idiot.

November 18, 2017
  2. John Kirk said:
    I don’t agree with your take, PED (and that’s a rare thing). I think Apple would have loved to have sold the HomePod this Christmas shopping season if for no other reason that a lot of homes will buy a competitor’s product instead.

Having said that, it doesn’t worry me much that they weren’t able to get it done. Better to get it right than to get it out the door. As John Wooden said (attributed):

If you don’t have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

November 18, 2017
    • Fred Stein said:
      John, I agree with you wholeheartedly on all points.

One reason for the delay might be Siri, which recently (and belatedly) moved to Craig’s org. Siri must meet or beat the competition on HomePod. On iPhone it’s not as important.

November 18, 2017
    • Gianfranco Pedron said:
      “… a lot of homes will buy a competitor’s product instead.”

… or some other Apple product, already many new(ish) products to choose from this holiday season and competing for the Apple fan’s wallet.

Then they’ll buy a HomePod when it gets released.

November 18, 2017
        I agree. In the long run it doesn’t matter all that much if a scheduled launch is postponed.

If it’s best in class it will rise, like cream, to the top.

I was going to get a HomePod at launch, but will happily wait for one that just works.

November 18, 2017
  3. Richard Wanderman said:
    There are many reasons to delay a product that’s not ready and at this point I doubt Apple considers the small number of conspiracy theorists who will comment that this is a sign that Apple is falling apart. Those same people make the same comments no matter what Apple does or doesn’t do.

I would have been personally interested in this product if it acted as a mesh router. I’d have bought at least two and maybe more.

November 18, 2017
      On a related note, I’ve been really disappointed with the lack of reasonably priced AirPlay 2 wireless speakers. (“reasonably priced” being less than $100.)

The Apple Store has one that goes for $3500. I told them, “I don’t have $3500 ears!” (between old age, artillery and helicopters, my ears are pretty mediocre these days…)

November 18, 2017
  4. Patrick Beyrouti said:
    I believe in :

APPLE does not need another hero product this quarter to achieve its targets. ALL accessories are doing really well. NUMBERS will surprise

HOMEKIT still not ready. WHY introduce a speaker that is probably ready but the real impact is in the ecosystem. which is not ready .

And finally , the homepod is already DOA , the idea I mean . To really appreciate that , READ the latest book by DAN Brown, we need a head set with the capabilities of Winston.
    I think it is coming .