Apple: Subscription discontinued

I got one of these emails from iCloud. Did you get one too?

According to AppleInsider and the chatter on Reddit, Apple subscriptions are being discontinued around the world. I’m going wait for the geniuses to fix it. They usually do.

UPDATE: Apple acknowledges earlier iCloud subscription errors, says everything has been resolved

1. Ken Cheng said:

Mine was from the Apple Store and said my account was locked for security reasons. And that I had one week to sign in and update my account.

I assumed it was a phishing scam, and looked at who sent it: no_rep@osx.net

I’ll wait.

The Sign In button goes to http://pronic.inescporto.pt:8000/lCble334A

So, it goes to Portugal.

April 19, 2017
    • Ken Cheng said:

where there’s an “Apple-like” sign-in screen. I’m highly skeptical.

And, the three links on the bottom, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Sales and Refunds, go nowhere.

April 19, 2017
    • I assume a phishing attempt until proven otherwise. But this one came from do_not_reply@email.apple.com, which is why I didn’t junk it.

On AppleInsider’s comment stream, a reader got this, apparently from Apple:
      “We are aware of customers reporting similar emails at this time. Our engineers are working very hard at getting our stores back up and running smoothly. We do not yet have an estimated time as to when this will be resolved, but I can assure you that our teams are hustling to get this cleared up for us as soon as possible. I’m happy to take a look at your account and make sure that it’s still active for you though!”

April 19, 2017
      • Ken Cheng said:

Still quite strange that my phishing attempt which came at 10:49am ET, would be out the same time others were getting their cancellation notices. Could be coincidence, but I’ve never gotten one of those before. Previously, I’ve gotten phishscam mails from Google, and FedEx, daily, never Apple.

April 19, 2017
  2. I always assume phish until proven otherwise. This message came from do_not_reply@email.apple.com, which is why I didn’t junk it immediately. On AppleInsider, one reader got this, apparently from Apple:

April 19, 2017
  3. Ken Cheng said:

I assumed it was a phishing scam, and looked at who sent it:
    no_rep at osx.net

I’ll wait.

The Sign In button goes to:
    pronic.inescporto.pt:8000/lCble334A

So, it goes to Portugal, where there’s an “Apple-like” sign-in screen. I’m highly skeptical.

April 19, 2017
  4. Richard Wanderman said:

I use iCloud, iCloud drive, but I haven’t bought any more space than what comes free with the account. I got no notice. Does everyone posting here buy more space on iCloud?

April 19, 2017
  5. sglawton@myfairpoint.net said:

I received one too. Pure spam.

April 19, 2017