Video: iPhone 7 meltdown

1.7 million views and counting.

A cure for Samsung schadenfreude from Mashable:

[Brianna] Olivas says the trouble began the day before when her iPhone 7 Plus, which she bought from Sprint in January, wouldn’t turn on. She took the phone to an Apple Store where employees ran tests and told her everything was fine. The phone appeared to be working normally again.

That changed the next morning, she says, when her phone apparently caught fire while sitting on a dresser.

“The next morning I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head, my boyfriend grabbed the phone and put it on the dresser,” she said via a direct message on Twitter. “He went the the [sic] restroom … and from the corner of his eye he saw my phone steaming and [heard] a squealing noise. By the time he got over to the phone it had already caught fire, he quickly grabbed the phone and threw it in the restroom … as soon as he threw it in the restroom is [sic] blew up and more smoke started coming out of the phone.”

Twitter video below (audio not exactly safe for office):

Unlike the Samsung Note 7, which suffered repeated meltdowns last fall and had to be recalled, this seems to be a one-off. Apple is investigating.

6 Comments

  1. Robert Harris said:
    Also this phone has been out since September and the note 7 meltdown started very soon after arrival when as I recall only 2,000,000 were in the hands of the public. With Apple we are dealing with 40-6 x that number (that’s an estimate as I do t know breakdown between 7 and +) ojt in the public. Would be interesting to note the physical condition of the item as Apple notes that in their records when looking at items in the store.

    0
    February 24, 2017
  2. Gianfranco Pedron said:
    Of particular interest is the part where [Brianna] adds “… I was asleep with my phone charging next to my head …” to highlight the “OMG it could have been soooo much worse” narrowly averted outcome.

    Also interesting is that the exploding and burning phone left no residue on the bathroom sink.

    1
    February 24, 2017
    • Fred Stein said:
      Also interesting is that the boyfriend picked up the burning iPhone, took it to the sink, but not in the sink where he could have doused it with water, and then got his SmartPhone to record the incident. And note that the incident occurred in the morning and the tweet at 4PM.

      0
      February 26, 2017
      • David Drinkwater said:
        Dousing an electrical fire with water is a no-no. Lithium and water are a no-no. Very bad no-no’s. If you put lithium metal in water, it explodes. So does sodium metal.

        0
        February 27, 2017
  3. Fred Stein said:
    Note: The incident was tweeted on Feb 22 at 4pm. The incident occurred in the AM. Much rehash, retweet, etc. NO NEW INFO.

    0
    February 26, 2017

Leave a Reply